A good pen lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theHullTurn

Hey im looking at lathes and dont have a huge budget so i was wondering if anyone knows of a good pen mini lathe around $200 if i can get such a thing? My heart is not set on variable speed so it can be either.

Thanks!

glycerine

Take a look at the Turncrafter from Penn State Industries or look for something used. I've got a Turncrafter Pro that I bought used from a local IAP member and it's been great!

bitshird

Keep an eye on Craigs List, the Jet 10x14 seems to be a popular lathe, as does the Turncrafter, What ever lathe yoiu get be sure it utilizes an MT-2 taper in both the spindle and tail stock. Also be aware that none of the wood turning lathes come with the proper live center for penturning, pen turning mandrels require a 60 degree live center, the cup centers supplied with wood lathes will llow the mandrel to wobble causing out of round pens and all sorts of other problems, several members here sell new live centers, johnnycnc John at http://www.penturnersproducts.com/ is a well respected member of this group and offers quality products at fair prices.

Top Bottom