A few special Dayacom Rollerballs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

I got a request from the owners of Ubeaut Neil & Pauline, good friends of mine, to make some pens for them for Xmas gifts using some kits they were going to send me. They wanted 2 from timber with the best grain I had, 2 circuit board pens, and 2 of my choice of my "specials". I said no probs, send me the kits :wink:.

Well they sent me Gold Dayacom Rollerballs from Timberbits :rolleyes:.

My first problem was circuit board blanks only come in Sierra and Cigars, not long enough for these kits :frown:. So using some spare tubes to splice joint the Sierra circuit board blanks I had with pieces of the Dayacom Rollerball tubes, I extended them at either end. I then used some actual gold leaf and stuck it in patches to the tube extensions, before casting with some green Pearlex powder hoping to get a reasonable match. I think it works well :cool:.

1_UBeaut4.jpg

I then used some Red Coolabah burl, and cross-cut Burdekin Plum, for the timber pens. Both have pretty decent grain and relatively easy for me to turn and finish in CA :wink:.

1_Ubeaut2.jpg

1_Ubeaut3.jpg

For my "specials", I chose a blue cast Banksia for which I am known for, and a clock parts pen that I have been experimenting with. The clock parts are embedded in polymer clay, baked, then cast in resin. I do have to turn them with a curved surface to miss the parts coming through though, although I think it looks Ok :wink:.

1_Ubeaut6.jpg

1_Ubeaut5.jpg

I think they all look pretty spiffy, so I'm sure they will fit the order :biggrin:.

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

great jon. i thnik the circuit boards turned out just super. you hit it on the head with the color.
god job. they should love them.

Bobalu

Exemplary! Great work converting the PCB's to fit the Dayacom kit. The kit appears to be similar to the Electra available here in the US, but to my knowledge only available in a Gold/Chrome combo plating here. I may have to start ordering from Timberbits.

The Banksia gets my vote as the most attractive of the other four pens, but they are all very nice.

Great looking group, your friends better love'm! The color match on the circuit boards makes it look like you do that all the time!

The Banksia is fantastic, it looks lit from within. What color is the tube/reverse paint?

Chris

bitshird

Neil, the splice job on the Circuit Board pens is a stroke of genius, (and it looks good as well) the timber and Banksia Pod pens are also quite beautiful as well.

Top Bottom