A few Pens today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played around a little in the shop today.. decided to do some pens again.. I'm low on kits.. only have a few slimlines left.. This one is from a Honey Locust I cut last summer and just tossed on the wood pile.. cut a piece off and discovered some spalting.. The pen shape is ugly.. I don't usually do bumps on my pens.. just felt like being different today.
2007184757_SL-WS-LOCU.jpg

This one is from a piece of vine I cut while clearing last summer.. got cute with it too... left the clip off & put a knob on top too.
2007184842_SL-WG-VINE.jpg

I had to cut down my wife's work desk when we moved into the new house... had just a little piece of the plywood left over, tried it for a pen.. turned out pretty good.
2007184915_SL-WG-PLYW.jpg

Then this one is from spalted hackberry got off ebay.. it was really punky... had to turn a while, soak in Ca, turn some more, soak some more...
2007184941_SL-WG-HACK.jpg

Last one was a Flame box elder I got off ebay also...
20071841056_SL-WG-BOXF.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Played around a little in the shop today.. decided to do some pens again.. I'm low on kits.. only have a few slimlines left.. This one is from a Honey Locust I cut last summer and just tossed on the wood pile.. cut a piece off and discovered some spalting.. The pen shape is ugly.. I don't usually do bumps on my pens.. just felt like being different today.
2007184757_SL-WS-LOCU.jpg
<br />
Glad to see I'm not the only one that'll `ruin' a pen just to turn the blank.
Sometimes, the wood has so much figure you must leave more wood -- even if it doesn't make a good'n.
I thought I was looking at one of mine made from storm downed spalted maple ...
spaltedMaple_StormWood.jpg

Gary

I was hoping to have more color in the locust.. didn't realize how white the wood is.
Nasty trees with those 4 inch thorns all up and down the trunk.... Still trying to kill the roots.. they are sprouting again.

BigRob777

Oz,
Just don't let your pen get near water.[:D] If you want thicker pens, try using your own wood CB. I love the versatility and it gets rid of that figure 8 look. I love nicely spalted wood pens.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom