A few new pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

A few weeks ago I posted a photo of a new prototype I had been working on. After a few major changes and a tweak here and there I have finalized my new design. I will be offering this pen in 12 colors, here are four of my favorite colors to give you an idea of what the pens look like.

All rings and bands are sterling silver and the clip is silver plated to match. As with all my pens, these sport a Bock nib, in this case a #6 stainless steel nib.

I realize these are just sticks with clips, basic, boring and bland to some but I'm rather proud of them as a fair amount of work goes into these pens. I hope you enjoy them as well.

As usual, any and all constructive comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

1_show_low_pens.jpg

Last edited:

Lenny

Very nice! I really like the clip, are you making that yourself and having it plated?
Nice photo as well ... purple is often a challenge to get photographed.

Texatdurango

Woo hoo, I finally got the hang of multi quoting!

I can't find any reason to criticise, and you know I really looked!!:biggrin:

When are you going to make a matching Rollerball for these. I would imagine that a set of a FP and RB would be a good seller.

Actually I do make these in a rollerball using a custom rollerball section I make and I also offer them with the Schmidt fountain rollerball, again using a special section to hold the Schmidt tip.

Very nice! I really like the clip, are you making that yourself and having it plated?
Nice photo as well ... purple is often a challenge to get photographed.

I buy the raw clips and have them plated in a shop in California. I hope to be making my own clips from silver as soon as I can find a cheap kiln to do some heat treating.

If I had a complaint, it would be that they are TOO good...they look fully machined! Beautiful work!
Well, I'll take that as a compliment as I do 100% of the shaping, sanding and polishing on my Jet mini wood lathe. Right now I just do the drilling and tapping on my metal lathe. It doesn't show well but all the bodies are tapered from .560" to .440" and they all post.

Last edited:

gwilki

I think this clip is a big improvement over the prototype one, George. I did look to find something negative to say, but struck out famously. I'm sure that these will be big sellers for you.

Texatdurango

Those are absolutely gorgeous and I think you know it. :)

Did you pour those blanks?
Well of course I think all my pens are gorgeous, whether they are are not!:)

Yes, these are alumilite blanks I mixed using PearlEx pigments.. I started to say the pens are 100% alumilite but that's not true on these pens. I am making the center threaded couplers from black acrylic rods instead of black alumilite because I can't get the black alumilite threads to shine as well as the acrylic.

Pete275

George, Amazing as usual. I have the same complaint as Billy B.(alamocdc) only I wish the blue one were in my pocket. Or the purple or the red etc. Thanks for posting them.

Wayne

Kretzky

As you said "just" sticks with clips... BUT extremely well made, nice clips, well balanced & I really like them to me they have a sort of "old world look" to them & your own casts too! Great job.
Congrats & thanks for showing.
David

Sataro

Nothing to criticize on those pens. They look great. I'm sure they also have a lot of work put into them. Great job!!!

Jim Burr

Banned
I hate seeing these:frown:. So close to starting and then I get candy tossed in my face:frown:. Shop is on for tomorrow...have my tap and dies, holders and acrylic rod. You are one of a few inspirations George! :biggrin::biggrin:

Texatdurango

That's custom from clip to section to blanks to bands, you should blow them away at the next pen show, but I do think one all black with the silver bands and clip would be stunning. But what do I know.
Great minds think alike! We've got eight days 'till departing for the show and I've got several pens of each of my four models ready for the show now so it's time to play with some one-offs.

I'll be making a few bulb fillers and perhaps a few button fillers, a couple solid black and silver pens as well as a few from different color ebonite and some cebloplast pens all depending what I'm in the mood for when I hit the shop.

Of course, this is all subject to change if the winds subside and fishing picks up at my favorite fishing hole!:biggrin: We went the other morning around 7AM and it was 29 degrees with a 10mph wind, brrrrrrr!

Texatdurango

I hate seeing these:frown:. So close to starting and then I get candy tossed in my face:frown:. Shop is on for tomorrow...have my tap and dies, holders and acrylic rod. You are one of a few inspirations George! :biggrin::biggrin:
Jim, just a note on the clear acrylic tubes and solid rods.

A few years ago I started using clear acrylic rod and tube on my bulb fillers with ink windows and since the clear acrylic was cheaper than "common pen blanks", I decided to buy extra rod and use for experimenting. I mentioned this in the past but think it's worth mentioning again.... The clear rods and tubes are a bit more brittle thus harder to thread than the softer acrylic used in the "common pen blanks". I have always said that if one can master threading the clear acrylic then they would have no problems with the common pen blanks or alumilite.

With that said, don't get discouraged if you have some threading failures at first, just keep at it, use cooking oil spray as a lubricant and don't force the taps and dies and you'll be fine.

Katya

George...these are top notch. I especially like the silver bands as they add a bit of sparkle to the pens. Darrell

I love these too.. are you using two different thicknesses of silver sheet to achieve the centre bands and end bands?

Absolutely beautiful pens! I like the shapes, blanks and silver accents.
Cheers
Catherine

Bigj51

Oh wow! Those are beautiful! I'll take the blue one! Very very very nice workmanship. Don't change a thing. What blank material are you using on those? It is very striking.

76winger

Very nice George and as in the past you've created some real beauties!

The darker blue one at the bottom really catches my eye.

avbill

Well let me critique you George; I see a speck on the red pen upper pen barrel just below the clip..... Oh NO that 's a speck on me glasses! Very nice work George

nava1uni

As usual I find your work something to aspire to in my pen making. I really like this design a lot. It reminds me of an older parker that I had for years until it broke. Long before I knew anything about pen making or repairing.

MartinPens

George, truly amazing. As I start working on these I am seeing all the work that goes into making one! I can't decide on the color, but maybe if I see you at the LA Pen Show next year I will have saved enough pennies to choose one there. Thanks for sharing so much of your expertise on the forum!

Texatdurango

I love these too.. are you using two different thicknesses of silver sheet to achieve the centre bands and end bands?
.....Cheers
Catherine
Yes I use two thicknesses of silver. On the lower body rings I use 24g which is .020" and the cap bands are 18g which is .040". I used to make wider cap bands but think the thinner bands look "crisper".

Oh wow! Those are beautiful! I'll take the blue one! Very very very nice workmanship. Don't change a thing. What blank material are you using on those? It is very striking.
I mix dyes and PearlEx pigments with clear alumilite.

As usual I find your work something to aspire to in my pen making. I really like this design a lot. It reminds me of an older parker that I had for years until it broke. Long before I knew anything about pen making or repairing.
Thanks for the compliments. Probably one of the first vintage pens I ever held in my hands was a Parker Duofold and I liked the shape and feel so it's no surprise that I tend to make my pens similar in shape.

If I were a smart person I would pick up on a common theme amongst the comments and that would be to make a few more blue pens for the show just in case. In my last two shows the blue and purple pens were the first to go, who knows I might have sold more if I had the right colors on hand! :wink:

Old Lar

Great job on the pens. I like the design, blanks and, oh heck I like them all. The silver bands really make them look regal.

Top Bottom