A Few More Tea Lights

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Just finished these off this afternoon. They will be buffed on the three stage Beal buffer after the finish has cured for a couple days.

Box on left is the 2 for $1.00 battery operated Tea light from dollar store . Card on right shows 3 replacement batteries for $1.00.
Back right one has regular wax candle. All are drilled to accept either wax or electric candle.

I have found a few things that contribute to fast sale of these in my particular area.

(1) The higher the gloss the better. Satin or oiled do not sell here.

(2) Contrasting laminated wood sells better than one solid piece unless the solid piece has really spectacular grain pattern.

(3) Small ones don't seem to go very good. I find that ones under 4" diameter don't sell very well. These are 5" and I will be making more 6" ones before the craft sale season starts again.

TeaLights12610.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shadow man

William,
Those are cool. What did you use to drill the hole for the candles and what is the finish you use on them?
Thanks
George

W.Y.

William,
Those are cool. What did you use to drill the hole for the candles and what is the finish you use on them?
Thanks
George
Drilled on the lathe with a forstner bit.
Finish is sanding sealer followed by 3 coats of gloss lacquer applied an hour apart and 0000 steel wool between coats . Takes as long to finish them as it does to make them but that is what makes them sell good.

I always say it is not finished until it is "finished"

W.Y.

Those are gorgeous but LOML saw them and now I have to learn how to turn them!

It is pretty basic turning Rob .
Just glue some square pieces of wood together and when the glue is dry cut it round on a band saw. Then mount it on your lathe and turn a shape and drill a hole in the top for the Tea light . Sand and finish.

No problemo :wink:

Top Bottom