A few firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrin1200

darrin1200

Here are a few first I tried.

The first is a black walnut burl replacement handle I turned for our Ice cream Scoop. I am looking around to find an inexpensive scoop I can buy so that I can make a few more of these. A scoop with a round pin would be preferable. If anyone knows where to get one, let me know.

The second was my attempt at using up tail end pieces from blanks. Its three different stabilized burls.

The third is my first letter opener. It is a Gold Sierra in Amboyna burl.

The last is my first fountain pen. It is a Violet Box Elder burl dressed in a Sterling Silver Baron. This might have actually turned me into a fountain pen user.

All comments welcome.

Darrin

Attachments

• HPIM0752 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0752 (640x477).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 267
  • HPIM0754 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0754 (640x477).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 295
  • HPIM0758 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0758 (640x477).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 248
  • HPIM0761 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0761 (640x477).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Wow! I love the last one- since it's purple and I'm a big purple fan. But I also like the combo one with the three different pieces together, they went well together. And I also like the ice cream scoop. Not a hug fan of letter openers, so that one doesn't get me excited, but the other three are all GREAT!

darrin1200

Thanks for the comments.

I am not a big fan of letter openers myself. I figured they would go well as a set with some of my pens. We'll see.
Although I am a huge fan of natural wood, (I don't like stain), I really enjoy the dyed burls.

Darrin

darrin1200

Great job! I like the stacked pen, but be careful - Once you start doing that, you will go nuts trying to come up with your next piece!

To late. I went out to clean the shop yesterday. Had to stop myself about ten times. I would pick up a little piece of scrap and stand there trying to figure how best to attach it to another piece of scrap.
I guess if I put them together and use them, then they not scrap.

Needless to say, I have lots of ideas and a messy shop.
I promised myself if I clean the shop today:frown:, I can make a pen tommorrow:biggrin::biggrin:.

Darrin

ToddMR

Nice job on everything! Kind of nice to have a handle that needs replacing and you can do turn a replacement yourself. I want to so a letter opener just to have done one personally. I have several scraps in a bucket I need to go through soon and make up a laminate I think.

CaptG

Really good looking work Darrin. CSUSA has ice cream scoop kits in stainless steel or polished brass. Don't know if those are what you are looking for, but take a look.

Top Bottom