A few Bowls i have made

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from olismith101

olismith101

I made these bowls as practice, im trying to learn how to do it so please do let me know what you think!

Cheers

Ollie

Attachments

• P9160665.jpg
    P9160665.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 244
  • P9160661.jpg
    P9160661.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Ollie
Your off to a great start! Couple of things, the walls could be a bit thinner....1/4-1/8 inch is generally accepted as your target thickness. Personally I'd like to see a bit more shape and less beading, but thats my taste. A footed bowl will appear lighter, these are a bit "blocky". Keep at it these are better than my first few bowls.

robutacion

You've done very well, for the first attempts...!

Turning bowls can look a little daunting at the start but, the main trick to it is to acquire a couple of tools that will make bowl making a breeze, regardless of size.

For the outside the bowl gouge is a must and for the inside, where the difficulty is and where most people find it difficult, with certain woods and in end-grain hollowing, the most efficient is the carbide round cutter. These are found on sale everywhere in our days and you have here someone that makes and sells them.

There are a few things that you have to remember when bowl turning;

- Lathe capacity
- blank mounting systems to the lathe
- Slow speeds sometimes are your best bet.
- Longer and stronger than pen making tools will be required
- Carbide tools are the best for removing lots and any sort of wood from your blank initially and for most of the shaping.
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, ware protective gear, a good face mask and gloves, can save you a lot of pain...!

There are many other aspects of bowl turning that could be added but, these are the most crucial ones to start with, you will find all the other aspects as you get more familiar with this type of turning...!

Your shapes, thickness and decorative cuts are most typical from beginners in these type items, everyone, including myself didn't start making thin walled turnings and more elegant shapes, from the start, in fact, the wall thickness in one of the areas where you will need some common sense. What I mean is, for now, and while you are getting used to these type turnings, thicker wall thickness = safe, some items can do with thing walls but certainly not all, in fact, most usable items, particularly in the kitchen (salad, fruit bowls, etc...!) do require a "reasonable" wall thickness for stability and durability, particular if kids are about.

Don't panic, you are oof to a great start and it will get easier and better as you go, we all have been there, done that...!

PS: Start gathering lots of logs as this type turnings. "EAT" lots of wood...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Good luck

Cheers
George

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice beginning! It can always be a bit intimidating to start doing larger turnings. I would recommend trying forms with more flowing curves. Imagine the major flow of the form appearing to just kiss the surface it rests on.

Top Bottom