a custom kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikec76

I am still a newbie at all of this but I had a guy ask me the other day if I could do a pen with the same shape as the band of a Rolex watch.. he wants that to be the center band... I had a Emp. Jr that he was looking at and I explained that the pens are made from kits and that I only could change the wood or even do some custom work by segmenting the wood..
and he is fine with that but then asked me to look into having one custom made and told me to call him with how much it would cost to make..

(when explaining the Rolex band he handed me his Rolex which had diamonds in it and was gold so I don't think price is that much of a option for him)

any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkc

If he can pay through the nose.... have a jeweler make up the center band to 'match' his rolex (payment in advance of course).

IPD_Mrs

Mike this could be done, but will require you to commission some work with a jeweler. You will need to take the centerband section of the kit to the jeweler and explain that for it to fit in the tubes the diameters must be acurate. You are talking about a tidy sum of money and I would require at minimum the amount the jeweler will charge for the custom work up front. I would also make this a no-return order. Actually all custom work needs to be no-return unless it is not exactly as agreed upon. Depending on the jeweler cost, I would say the pen should be in the $1000-$1500 range.

Russianwolf

like was said above, but I would take all the hardware to the jeweler and have it all done. Otherwise the color of the materials likely won't match, or will wear unevenly.

gmcnut

Just playing devil's advocate here. [}:)] Is the pattern of the Rolex band something that is protected by intelectual property rights?

Jarheaded

I may be able to helpout on this one. Have him send the rolex to me and I will mill it down to a pen and really make him happy. Just trying to help. In reality, make sure to get a good sized deposit on the custom order. It has been my experience that the more money they have, the harder it is to get paid.

drayman

i personlly think he is just showing off, dont be suprised if the rolex is a copy, i hope he is genuine, then you can post a photo of the finished pen and let us know the outcome. good luck[:p]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm afarid I have to agree with Colin ( Drayman)
I would be a bit sceptical of any person that had a real watch like that in the first place. And I would expect that kind of person to know where to get a jewelled pen. Mont Blanc, DuPont etc.
Even Rolex sell fancy pens.
Put it this way, would you buy a jewelled, non-branded, none hallmarked pen from a crafter when you already wear the Rolex brand?

I would love to be wrong, but my advise would be not to part with any cash.

Good Luck though

Hello

I happen to know a jeweler, and it could definitely be done by a jeweler. The process is a little longer than one might expect, but undoubtedly do-able. Another options, which would increase your own skill sets is to use a high speed dremmel (jewelers dremmel with diamond grain bits) and hand carve a center band. The dremmel isn't very easy o control, so you'd have to mount the dremmel and hold the work instead of holding the dremmel and applying it to the work. Use an aluminum billet to carve and then get an electro-plating kit and plate it yourself.

Top Bottom