A Crying Shame

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

I discovered this pencil kit from Craft Supply about a year ago, well it had available for years, but I finally got around to turning a few about a year ago.[8)]

It was a delight, I love the freedom of design it offers and it was a big hit in my 2007 craft sales.:D

About a month ago I went to reorder a few more and found out that Craft Supply was dropping the pencil kit and were on clearance, I bought 10 kits.

I turned these from that set of 10.

IMG_0172.jpg

Stabilized BEB’s, green , purple, red and blue

IMG_0173.jpg

Spalted Maple, BEB and Rosewood

I went to reorder from Craft Supply and found out they now have no inventory, a crying shame.

I also turned a few of the Toolbox pencils, first time …not as exciting…

IMG_0174.jpg

Comments and critiques are all welcome.

I saved three kits from the 10 I bought for later inspiration, wish I could find a few more[B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

They all look great !!!!! i agree with you i did a few myself a couple of years ago and they do allow for a litte mor freedom of expression:D

mrcook4570

Very nice work. I did not know they discontinued that kit. I loved it and it was a big hit with my customers as well. Now I am very glad that I bought 50 a few months ago :D

Jim,
Those are beautiful pencils. It is a shame that they are disco'ing them as this months Stylus magazine did a feature on the popularity and high style designs of sketch pencils coming from some elite pen manufacturers.CSUSA may have jumped the gun on dropping this style. I'll tell you this, there are not many in the mag that are nicer looking than yours and they are pretty pricey. It may pay to get a copy to help you get a bit more for yours.

Hayseedboy

I have wanted to get some of those as well.... shucks... they look like the same basic kit. Could you not cut your own brass and eliminate the center band? Is the drill bit the same for this newer kit?

??

Larry

Originally posted by Hayseedboy

I have wanted to get some of those as well.... shucks... they look like the same basic kit. Could you not cut your own brass and eliminate the center band? Is the drill bit the same for this newer kit?

??

Larry

Good Question Larry. The Woodworker pencil unlike the Artist and Toolbox pencil is tubeless , I have looked at buying the Toolbox pencil and making it into a Woodworker pencil...costs a bit more, and wastes some hardware, but it can be done.:)

Originally posted by philbaldwin

They are awesome!

Especially liking the satin finish, what is it?

Hi Phil,

The finish is more a process of skipping the final plastic polish I often use to "pop" the look on stabilized woods.

I sanded them all the same, starting with 400-600 wet then Micro Mesh 1500-12,000

Originally posted by oobak

Jim,
Those are beautiful pencils. It is a shame that they are disco'ing them as this months Stylus magazine did a feature on the popularity and high style designs of sketch pencils coming from some elite pen manufacturers.CSUSA may have jumped the gun on dropping this style. I'll tell you this, there are not many in the mag that are nicer looking than yours and they are pretty pricey. It may pay to get a copy to help you get a bit more for yours.

Thanks Glen,

I will have to look up that copy then, I don't see Stylus that often in my neck of the woods. I appreciate your words and confidence in my work.

philb

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville

They are awesome!

Hi Phil,

The finish is more a process of skipping the final plastic polish I often use to "pop" the look on stabilized woods.

I sanded them all the same, starting with 400-600 wet then Micro Mesh 1500-12,000

I take it theres a CA/BLO or CA finish there then?

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville

They are awesome!

Hi Phil,

I take it theres a CA/BLO or CA finish there then?

Hi Phil,

No, I utilize the fact that the stabilization of the material itself is the matrix of my finish.

If I were using a non stabilized wood and wanted this look I would sand 400, then use Mylands cellulose sealer, then sand again with 400. I then would perhaps use a CA finish and not polish it out after 12,000 MM or if I wanted to use Mylands fiction polish I would use it as my finish right after the 400 sanding, it will dull down in time and wear away eventually, but it will give a gloss finish that will fade to satin in time after use.

Originally posted by rhahnfl

You did a great job with all of them. Have you checked with other suppliers to see if they have any?

Thank You Chris,

I am not aware of anyone else selling this pencil kit, but then again I am isolated here in Canada, eh!;) Maybe some one does, but I would have to know if they would ship to Canada, some don't. I deal with CS for a lot of reasons, one of which is that they treat us well on this side of the invisible line.

I would also like to thank every one here for your kind thoughts and comments, I want to keep one for ME, I am leaning towards the clear BEB, but I have a piece of African blackwood that would look awesome on this pencil.:)

badger

I got a few of those pencils, and made fabric marking pencils for my wife and her sewing freinds by getting some white leads from a art supply store. They loved them. However, I didn't like the kit because it felt loose? There didn't seem to be any support of the insert at the end, and I ended up wrapping electrical tape around it to get it to fit snugly.

Top Bottom