A couple questions from a beginning caster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RayMcDaniel

Hey all. New caster and pen turner here. I just have a couple questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

First question is, and this is for those of you that are into casting.. I just ordered what Adds up to a complete alumilite casting studio (read: pressure pot, alumilite clear, dyes, pearls, gird, stabilizing cactus juice, vaccum chamber, vaccum pump, hdpe for workspace and forms etc...) and I was wondering where you guys order your bulk burl caps online?

Second questions : Also what other kinds of wood do you guys order in bulk For casting? I'm assuming from watching the videos on YouTube that irregular shapes like burl caps are the best for this for an aesthetic view point but I have a whole apricot and oak tree just cut down and I was also wondering if square pieces from quarter sawn would also work in the molds as well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Charlie_W

I cannot help with the source for the Burl caps and also, I do not cast.
But I can tell you that most anything appropriate you can fit in a mold can be cast.....but it must be totally dry. Any moisture will come back to haunt you later in the process.
You may be looking at a toaster oven and a microwave for the shop....don't even think of using the ones in the kitchen. You don't want to introduce anything which may become toxic when heated in your food cooking units.

robutacion

Welcome to the stabilizing and casting world...!

I think I can be of some help with your inquiry and I sell wood pieces ready to cast as pen blanks but I also can make/cut bigger.

I have many species ready, you can add Brown and Red Mallee root burl pieces that were not included on this thread

I can give you a special price for quantity, anything up to 20kg is OK, all these pieces are raw and dry but still need oven time to remove any possible moisture.

Let me know by PM

Cheers
George

Top Bottom