A COUPLE OF "QUICKIES"....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobleibo

bobleibo

Last year I made a few of these snowmen that we've all seen. I was asked again to make a "few" more. "Sure honey, how many?". "I need about 18 to decorate the gifts". When did decorating the box get more involved than the gift itself? Oh, well, 3 down, lots to go. Really, they are pretty easy and quick. These are about 4-1/2" tall with Maple bodies with Walnut and Koa hats. Glue up some blocks, (Maple and Paduak on the next round), slice 'em and turn. Put a eyelet in the hat, presto, instant tree ornament. Go ahead and make a few, you'll earn lots of brownie points.
The bank is for a special little boy. Mahogany body. Name, shingles and window are laser engraved, door is an old Post Office door from 1955. Hope he likes it.
Cheers everyone.

Attachments

• 2015 snowmen.jpg
    2015 snowmen.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 20151214_203628.jpg
    20151214_203628.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 20151214_203642.jpg
    20151214_203642.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 20151214_203716.jpg
    20151214_203716.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I really like the bank, too !!!! Where did you get the laser engraving done ?

And, WHERE did you get the Post Office Box door ?????

Snowmen are cool also ... clever trick to glue the hat on before turning !! :)

bobleibo

As I always say...no secrets here, happy to share.
I get most of my doors from eBay sellers I have come to know. Price usually runs from $40 - $200. If you buy any, look for complete doors, especially the glass. The attached photo is 3 doors I have. The one on the left is a Y&T from 1895, middle unknown but is a double dial, right one is a Corbin (most common) from 1965. All are before I clean them up. I just take a wire brush to them if they are copper.
Snowmen, most folks do one color. I like two. If you do two, make sure the joint between the hat and body is exactly 90 degrees from the center line or you'll have a two colored hat brim. These are turned from a 2" x 2" x 6" block.
My friend owns a laser engraver and does all of my work....pens, mugs, flat work, banks, etc. I provide the artwork and he does the engraving. Lettering I use MSWord, some pics I draw myself freehand and some I get from the internet. He can do up to 20" square.
Have fun~

Attachments

• PO doors.jpg
    PO doors.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

LouCee

I like that bank. I had a similar project in mind (without the laser engraving) a few years ago and bought a PO box door similar to the one you used. It didn't come with the combination and instead of taking the time to research it I just set it aside. I had forgotten I even had it, seeing this reminded me. So I went down to the shop and found it, did a little looking online and learned how to figure out the combo. I'll have to get going on this project now that I can unlock it.

Top Bottom