a couple of questions from a new guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phil

Hey folks, i just got started making pens a few weeks ago, and so far its been treating me well. but i do have a couple of questions.

first, as far a quality goes, how do the PSI kits rank? ive had a couple of comfort pen kits that had a rotten ink cartrage. no ammount of scribbling will make it write well. ive always liked the way cross pens write (in my expierience with them before i started making pens), so is it just a fluke? or do they send cheap ink with the kits? the others ive done have for the most part been fine. some write smoother than others.

second question, my pastor found out that i am making pens, and he wants one. The pen he has now is an old beat-up pen from Zippo. not sure of the style, but its 2 tone gold and chrome with a white and black acrylic blank on the bottom, and the original upper part used to be black. (it has since worn off and is now just the bare metal). the thing that he likes about the pen is the "transmission". it turns out both ways.

i dont have alot of experience so i really dont know if this is just something that the parker refill pens do, or if its just special to that style of pen. he has another just like it that he is going to give to me to try to dissasemble and use the parts. so ill have a picture soon if that helps.

sorry for writing a book, but any help is much appreciated!

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

Hey Phil, welcome to the group.

Concerning the PSI pens, they are typically good quality. That being said the platings are different, 24K gold is a poor plating while gold TI is a much more durable plating. Costs more, but you get what you pay for. I found chrome is a good inexpensive plating. As for the ink issue, you will find that just about all the stock Cross & Parker styles are junk. Most people upgrade with the actual brand or look to other vendors for upgrades. A good place to check is Exoticblanks.com They have upgraded cross & parker inks and are excellent, plus Ed & Dawn are good folks to deal with and are members here.

As for the pastor with the double twist, some of the Cigar styles offer a double twist transmission, and for some people it is a more popular style.

Good Luck & have fun. You will find just by doing a search you will find a TON of good information here. And be sure to post some pics!!

Chasper

I've made several thousand pens that use the generic version of cross refills and can't remember more than a dozen or so bad cross type refills. The refill that comes with the kit is smooth writing and reliable. I've used them myself for several years.

It is possible that there are multiple ORIGIONAL sources for cross type refills. It is possible that some are better than others. But it is also possible that if you buy kits and replacement refills from PSI or any of a dozen or more resellers that you are getting product from the same or comparable ORIGINAL source. I would not rule out the possibility that Cross branded refills come from the same source. If you will check the small print on the back side of the blister pack that an original Cross refill come in, you will notice that is says "made in China."

Mark

Hi Phil, Welcome to the IAP.

What they said about the Cross re-fills.

The Cigar style and the Hart Twist from (WC) both extend the tip by turning the barrel either way.

+1 on the BOW (Olivewood). That would make a sweet pen for your pastor.

ToddMR

+2 on the BOW for the pastor. I recently made one for my pastor and dressed it with a Chrome Cigar kit. Came out looking really nice and he told me "This is the nicest gift anyone has ever given me." It comes with a card telling about the wood coming from the holy land etc etc.

Welcome to IAP. Being a fairly newer turner myself I can tell you these guys are great on here and really helpful. Looking forward to seeing some pens from you.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Phil, for a slimmer double-twist with plenty of class, go see the Neopean kits that Aaron at LauLauWood sells.

Easier than a Euro because you don't have to turn the tenon and a solid and stylish clip.

And you can never go wrong with BOW! :cool:

phil

Wow thanks for the welcome and all quick responses! That answers all my questions perfectly. Ive seen the BOW, but hadnt thought about it for this, thanks for that! Ill look into thoes double twist pens, im glad to know it wasnt just something that Zippo had.

when i get some pics ill post em. and ill probably be back with more questions. Thanks again!

Phil

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hey folks, i just got started making pens a few weeks ago, and so far its been treating me well. but i do have a couple of questions.

first, as far a quality goes, how do the PSI kits rank? ive had a couple of comfort pen kits that had a rotten ink cartrage. no ammount of scribbling will make it write well. ive always liked the way cross pens write (in my expierience with them before i started making pens), so is it just a fluke? or do they send cheap ink with the kits? the others ive done have for the most part been fine. some write smoother than others.

second question, my pastor found out that i am making pens, and he wants one. The pen he has now is an old beat-up pen from Zippo. not sure of the style, but its 2 tone gold and chrome with a white and black acrylic blank on the bottom, and the original upper part used to be black. (it has since worn off and is now just the bare metal). the thing that he likes about the pen is the "transmission". it turns out both ways.

i dont have alot of experience so i really dont know if this is just something that the parker refill pens do, or if its just special to that style of pen. he has another just like it that he is going to give to me to try to dissasemble and use the parts. so ill have a picture soon if that helps.

sorry for writing a book, but any help is much appreciated!

Phil

Most of the kits, including PSI's, are decent quality and frankly I don't see a lot of difference between Chinese made and Taiwanese made...I do know that PSI is having some of their kits made in China now. re. gold kits, the better kits have an clear epoxy coating over the gold plating and will probably last about as long as the titanium gold...epoxy wears well.

The cross type refills that come with the kits are OK but the ends of some of the will dry out and make them tough to get started....heat the tip a tad and that will usually fix it, or at least that's a hint I saw a week or so ago in response to another question.

phil

Thanks for the suggestion, i hadn't thought of heating the tip to get it working. Ill try it tomorow.

Thanks for the link too. I think i was typing while you were posting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom