A couple of new pens finished with Waterlox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eskimo

eskimo

I have been using Waterlox on all of my shaving gear and wanted to try it on some pens. Below are some Cigars in Black & White Ebony, Black Ash Burl, Osage Orange, Red Mallee Burl and a Panache in Osage Orange with Walnut segments. I am very pleased with the finish and, IMHO, it has a much better feel than CA.

Attachments

• 2623Bfull.jpg
    2623Bfull.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 2624Bfull.jpg
    2624Bfull.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 2625Bfull.jpg
    2625Bfull.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 2626Bfull.jpg
    2626Bfull.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 6012Afull.jpg
    6012Afull.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

Very nicely done Bob. I like the shine. Is the Waterlox as durable as the CA and is it compatible with CA? I have a few pens I'm making with Deer Antler and I seal the porus material with CA during turning and wonder if the Waterlox will work over the CA.

eskimo

Thanks for the comments. In regards to the durability, I have razors and shaving brushes that still look like new after 2+ years of use. The Waterlox wants to absorb into the material, so I wouldn't expect it to play well with CA as a base. I wipe on the Waterlox with Viva paper towel. Usually 3 - 5 coats depending on how porous the wood is and very fine steel wool between coats to help with adhesion.

Thanks for the comments. In regards to the durability, I have razors and shaving brushes that still look like new after 2+ years of use. The Waterlox wants to absorb into the material, so I wouldn't expect it to play well with CA as a base. I wipe on the Waterlox with Viva paper towel. Usually 3 - 5 coats depending on how porous the wood is and very fine steel wool between coats to help with adhesion.

Do you apply right on the lathe like CA?

alamocdc

Nice lot, Bob. Back when I started turning pens Waterlox was getting some attention, but kinda fell by the wayside as CA came on strong. If it works for 2.5 years on a razor, it should certainly be durable enough on a pen.

philb

These look great! Nice Gloss!

Did you use the Watrelox sealer, or just go straight in with the top coat! Also I see they do a Marine version too, for extra waterproofing!!

I'm guessing it was fine to sand, buff and polish as a normal hard finish?

SDB777

I'm just digging on the great timber on all of these! Really like the segmented OO/BlackWalnut, that is way cool!!

Scott (nicely turned) B

eskimo

Great looking pens.How long dose the waterlox need to dry?Between caots and coat.

I generally allow a day between coats and apply several coats of the basic sealer, then finish with a top coat of high gloss. Finally, I lightly buff without using any Tripoli or White Diamond.

I apply the finish while on the mandrel, but off the lathe and hang vertically to dry.

Waterlox is not cheap, takes a long time to apply (compared to CA) and has a short shelf life (it doesn't play well with oxygen) and it will tend to slightly darken the wood, so it's not a good choice for a very light colored wood, such as American Holly.

It's a perfect finish for my shaving gear and I use quite a bit, which helps diffuse the cost per piece and minimize the shelf life issue.

Above all, I prefer the feel of the finished product vs CA.

Top Bottom