A couple new ones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I figured I'd combine these two into one post. My two most recent ones pens. First is a small-ish diameter pen I made because I was chomping at the bit to make something from the lizard skin cellulose acetate I picked up a few weeks ago. Since the lizard skin was too small in diameter to make the cap from, I used black ebonite. The accents are aluminum, and the clip is one I ordered from Beaufort Ink. The nib is a Pelikan 200 nib, and the pen is filled via eyedropper.

The second pen is a demonstrator made from Quartz Mist acrylic (although I have renamed it "amber mist"), and features a Beaufort Ink clip as well. It used a #6 nib, and can be filled via cartridge, converter, or eyedropper. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• lizard3.jpg
    lizard3.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 217
  • lizard4.jpg
    lizard4.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 211
  • lizard2.jpg
    lizard2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 184
  • pelikan.jpg
    pelikan.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 185
  • amberquartz.jpg
    amberquartz.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 222
  • amberquartz2.jpg
    amberquartz2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 198
  • amberquartz3.jpg
    amberquartz3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Aloha John. These are nice to look at! Making a custom pen that will post presents a real challenge to the pen maker to do so and still have appealing aesthetics. You have met the challenge well on the blue lizard. Congratulations.

I did notice the cap seems to be proportionally longer, relative to the over all pen size. Is that a result of incorporating the posting capability, or just your desired design, without a "function" behind the design element?

jalbert

Aloha John. These are nice to look at! Making a custom pen that will post presents a real challenge to the pen maker to do so and still have appealing aesthetics. You have met the challenge well on the blue lizard. Congratulations.

I did notice the cap seems to be proportionally longer, relative to the over all pen size. Is that a result of incorporating the posting capability, or just your desired design, without a "function" behind the design element?

Thanks! As far as cap length goes, I generally try to make the amount of the body exposed when capped just slightly longer than the cap. I do this with most all my pens. It's not really a function issue, but rather just what looks good to my eyes.

Last edited:

OZturner

Terrific Pens, John.
I think The Ebonite ends, were a great resolution to you problem. Together with the Aluminium Accents, it looks like it was always to be included.
Love your Demonstrator, Fantastic Material Choice, and your rename is most appropriate.
Both Pens have Excellent Profiles, and Proportions.
The Beaufort Ink Clips are Fantastic.
Your Fit and Finish is Excellent.
Congratulations,
Brian.

jalbert

I like the extra length! Beautiful artistry.

Thanks Mark! These are actually near identical in their cap and barrel lengths: both around 145mm long when capped. Diameter wise, they are quite different. The barrel on the lizard skin is 12mm, and the Amber mist one is 14.5mm. I think the small diameter of the lizard skin makes it appear quite a bit longer than it actually is!

jalbert

Very nice pens. Something to aspire to in the future. The lizard skin is really pretty stuff. Is this something available for sale somewhere?

Yes, you can get it at "The Turners Workshop", but it is not something that is produced anymore, so I'm sure they have a limited stock of it.

javier75

Those are great, John. The two are breathtaking, but I find the blue one the best. I ordered some time ago the same material but in green, and it´s still waiting to be turned. I hope I´ll get something closer to your pen. Awesome work, congratulations

lhowell

These pens are incredible! This is what I aspire to get to in my pen making! Love the acetate and ebonite look! Congrats!

jalbert

Those are great, John. The two are breathtaking, but I find the blue one the best. I ordered some time ago the same material but in green, and it´s still waiting to be turned. I hope I´ll get something closer to your pen. Awesome work, congratulations
Thanks! I was eyeing some in green, but decided I didn't really need it.

These pens are incredible! This is what I aspire to get to in my pen making! Love the acetate and ebonite look! Congrats!
Thanks!
Well done again John, You've done it again.

Thanks Rob!

Top Bottom