A couple more dyed box elder slims.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

I have a few box elder logs about 3 ft across and 16 inches long. They have been down for about 3 years now. Not much red colouring but lots of spalting. I have a bunch of slim kits without the center band so this is how they are getting used. The teenagers in church love them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Yup, yes sir them is two rite purdy pens, seriously they are nicely done, I like your center transition, it looks so much nicer than a stock slimline center band.

warreng8170

Those look great. I started turning my slims like that after watching the "Turning Pens" DVD's. They look better and are just as easy if not easier. I don't think I will every make with a standard band again unless it's requested.

I have not yet tried adding a contrasting piece of wood for the "band".

-warren

Rick_G

It is easier Warren. Only have to match a bushing at one end of each blank. The other end gets made to what looks good. To make a contrasting band what works for me is to take a blank about 2" long and drill a center hole with a 1/4" drill bit, then square off the ends with the 7mm pen mill. (The shaft is a perfect fit for the 1/4" hole) Put it on the lathe and turn it round and slightly smaller than the pen mill. Now glue it to one end of your prepared pen blank and hold everything tight and aligned with a 1/4" bolt up through the center. When the glue is set cut it to length on your bandsaw and resquare both cut ends. Your pen blank is ready to go and your CB material is square on both ends and ready for the next pen. Here's another one to go with the group giving it to one of the teen girls at church this morning.

Top Bottom