A couple from today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eliasbboy

eliasbboy

Had a productive day today. Finally.:biggrin:

IMG_0727 copy.jpgIMG_0733 copy.jpgIMG_0741 copy.jpgIMG_0744 copy.jpgIMG_0756 copy.jpg

Comments/critiques are always welcome, tho I may cry.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Hi Michael, They are all good looking pens. Don't know if these reflect the caliper discussions you started, but from what I can see, they are slightly underturned (too large) if you want to match the blank with the hardware, although the way you rounded over to the fittings is well done. Some people like that approach so if that is what you like, you did it well and stick with it. If you want to go flush with the hardware, stay on the chisel a little longer. :wink:

Harry

eliasbboy

Hi Michael, They are all good looking pens. Don't know if these reflect the caliper discussions you started, but from what I can see, they are slightly underturned (too large) if you want to match the blank with the hardware, although the way you rounded over to the fittings is well done. Some people like that approach so if that is what you like, you did it well and stick with it. If you want to go flush with the hardware, stay on the chisel a little longer. :wink:

Harry

You are 100% correct.
headinhand.gif

I need to calculate better for the CA finish. The guitar shock absorber one is WAAAY off, but it's a request. My first attempt at a guitar inlay pen had some errors I wasn't happy with but I never tossed it out. A buddy saw it and liked it and I realized the tube fit the shock absorber. The short length also allowed me to chop off the mistakes.

plano_harry

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think I have ever made a pen that didn't have some flaw or mistake, no matter how small. Most get fixed and end up not visible, but it takes extra work. Rarely one goes in the trash. Nice recovery on your $20 guitar!

Back on topic, you might want to take some notes to find out how thick your finish is. Probably only have to do it a couple of times to get where you want to be. Measure/record your fitting, the sanded diameter and your final polished diameter. It will give you a good idea how deep to cut past the fitting dimension on your next pen. For me, my finish is pretty thin. If I can slip the calipers loosley onto the blank, I know I am good to go for the finish. I take a lot of CA off in sanding because I go after every dimple and ridge.

If it doesn't match, general consensus is better to be larger than the adjoining fitting, as you did. The metal edges are very obvious on overturned blanks.

I vote for Pen #2 :) although the flames are tempting.

Top Bottom