A BIG Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Donnie Kennedy

Back in the fall a lady friend of mine at work asked me find her dad a cool looking walking stick. He's getting older now and needs a little help with balance on occasion. I never found anything. I thought would be cool and functional. Tonight I thought to myself, I gots lots of wood and I can make something cool. Here is tonight's results...

I started with a 12" piece of straight grained Cherry I cut down a few years ago... turned it down to round then pit a 3/4" X 1-1/4" tenon on one end.

Then I added a 3/16" slice of blue pearl.

And 6" of Walnut.

I'm going to break out my chainsaw files and carve a spiral twist like on the Poplar wand in this picture.

So this is what I have at this point. It's not down to final diameter, but I have my lines down and will continue to build on this platform.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

How long to you intend it to be?

I was thinking of doing something like this but didn't know how to connect my two pieces. Now I am thinking of trying to use a pool cue connection.

I really like what you have so far. Can hardly wait to see it finished.

I'm waiting on a final measurement.... this was a spur of the moment idea and I just ran with the idea, but I'm figuring between 36" and 40" overall.

I'm just joining with liberal amounts of epoxy. My joint at the blue pearl and Walnut wasn't exactly square, so I went out to my smoker and got a chunk of chard wood and made dust out of it with some sandpaper... it filled the tiny gap

Ed McDonnell

How long to you intend it to be?

I was thinking of doing something like this but didn't know how to connect my two pieces. Now I am thinking of trying to use a pool cue connection.

I really like what you have so far. Can hardly wait to see it finished.

Treelineusa sells lots of parts for walking sticks / canes. Here's a link to the couplers that they sell. They may be a little more robust than a pool cue coupler.

CANE COUPLER SET - Cane and Walking Stick Accessories - Walking Sticks and Canes

Ed

Top Bottom