9x20 Lathe Maintenance Tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

While working on my 9x20 Grizzly G4000 one day, the lathe made a LOUD BANG! and stopped working. After I composed myself, I looked to see what happened.

In the Quick Change Gear Box (QCGB) there is an idler gear attached to the selector lever. This gear does NOT have a bearing on it. It is just a steel pin on iron gear. The gear galled and seized on the shaft. This caused the banjo to jump out of gear. These gears are not mentioned on the maintenance schedule. These parts are number 617, 618, 620, and 621 on page 61 Please be sure to oil these gears and shafts when you do regular maintenance. I believe that it was assumed that the oil cups above the QCGB would provide sufficient lube for the gears, but this isn't the case.

randyrls

I have a long needle oiler. I don't remember where I got it. It is just a 4" blunt needle with a small squeeze tube filled with 3-in-1 oil. I just reach in beside the gear and apply a drop or two between the gear and shaft. Seems to work well. These are commonly used for sewing machines. I think I got mine locally; HF, Lowes, Home Depot???

Top Bottom