9X 20 metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bud duffy

I just gort back from harbour freight yhey had thier 9X20 metal lathe display modwl by the front door priced at 699 with a 50% off tag on it , so that would be $375 out the door ! Everything is there it has a stand to go with it also

I am thinking i should go back and grt to make bushings and things with.

9'' x 20'' GEARED HEAD, BELT DRIVEN BENCH LATHE

Great for Precision Work!
Includes 4'', three-jaw chuck with reverse jaws, MT2 and MT3 dead centers, live center, two drive belts, six threading gears and wrenches.

38 different thread pitches—27 SAE and 11 metric
Main spindle supported by taper roller bearings for smooth operation
Machine ground, hardened cast iron bedways

Cross slide travel: 4-3/8''; Center height: 4-1/2''; Tool slide travel: 2''; Headstock spindle bore: 3/4''; Spindle speed range: 120-2000 RPM; Thread pitches: 8-56 TPI and 0.5-3 mm; Tailstock spindle taper: MT2; Motor: 3/4 HP, 1720 RPM, 60 Hz, single phase

ITEM 45861-1VGA

$799.99

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

That's a very good price if all of the parts and accessories are there. Otherwise, you will need to factor those into the cost as well.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The 9x20 class of lathes are pretty nice, they have their pros and cons relative to the 7x mini lathes, but given the price you might have a pretty good deal here.

Basically the 7x minilathes have VS and a leadscrew reverse lever as an advantage over the 9x, which requires belt changes for speed change and you need to install a leadscrew reverse gear. The 9x has greater capacity and more mass.

If all you plan to do is bushings and other pen related parts, you may wish to consider the 7x which while more expensive then the 1/2 off deal on the 9x, by the time you add up cost of tooling (chucks, centers etc.) may be an equivalent deal.

Another thing to consider is do you have a place to put the 9x permanently? The 7x is light enough that you can put it out of the way easily, it is similar in size and weight to the 1014 lathes, while the 9x20 weighs 300 lbs..

randyrls

I am thinking i should go back and grt to make bushings and things with.
9'' x 20'' GEARED HEAD, BELT DRIVEN BENCH LATHE
Great for Precision Work!
Includes 4'', three-jaw chuck with reverse jaws, MT2 and MT3 dead centers, live center, two drive belts, six threading gears and wrenches.

Bud; if it is sold with a warrantee then you might want to chance it. If sold "as-is" I would pass it up. The ways a metal lathe can be abused or damaged are too numerous to mention. Also some HF stores use their display models to swap non-working parts. Metal lathes are much more complicated than a wood lathe. You will need many extras to start metalworking. Calipers and tooling bits are just the tip of the ice burg.

A 7x size lathe will be plenty large enough to make bushings.

If you want to go for it, I would suggest you join the YAHOO group 9x20Lathe, and 9x20Lathe2.

Also check out these web sites.
http://www.akpilot.net/Lathe Links.html
http://bedair.org/9x20.html

These are for 7x lathes,
http://www.mini-lathe.com/
http://littlemachineshop.com

Not to be negative, but the mindset of a wood lathe and metal lathe are completely different.

bitshird

Bigger is always better, my first pen's were turned on a 15x62 Clausing engine lathe, the 7x12s have trouble with the power switches if you start the spindle with the speed control set for higher speed, You start messing with a metal lathe you'll be surprised what you can make. The reversing leadscrew is a plus, but you can make a reverse tumbler for a 9x20 check out the 920 lathe forum on Yahoo

Top Bottom