.9 mm Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Had a customer toady who's interested in a pencil of either Turquoise True stone or Cholla Cactus with Turquoise inlay...

Kicker is he wants it in .9mm which I'd normally dismiss but this could be a $100 sale if I go with the Cholla. A slim line is two small and it needs to be chrome to complement the Turquoise...

Wondering if I could get a Pentel and swap the guts with something like the Stratus or Wall St II pencil kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mlconnelly

I got the Pentel conversion mandrel from John Grounds and have used it to make several pencils including a 0.9 mm. You can find everything you need to make the conversion including the step drill bit on his website here (The Perfect Collection).

IWC

alphageek. That is an interesting conversion, any info on how to make it happen? Will it work on a twist or just a click. I have 2 segmented pens with reverse wood sections, I have a customer to buy them if I can convert it to a pen - pencil set.

alphageek

Former Moderator
alphageek. That is an interesting conversion, any info on how to make it happen? Will it work on a twist or just a click. I have 2 segmented pens with reverse wood sections, I have a customer to buy them if I can convert it to a pen - pencil set.

It's my understanding that it can be done with a twist (twist to let the lead "loose", twist back to stop). However, I've only done them as click and it's been a while. For a long time I just did the pentel conversion stuff. I'm hoping there is others who voice in on using the details.

Reactions: IWC

TimS124

Give the Woodturningz.com folks a call...they list a cigar pencil in gold that clearly states it uses .9mm lead. They also list a cigar pencil in chrome (the color you requested) but it doesn't state what lead size it uses....given that the part numbers for both kits differ by only the trailing letter (with the chrome one having and extra "C" on the end...implying "chrome")....I would expect it's the same.

Price is under $8 unless you order at least 10 kits (then you're down to almost $7/each).

Here's a link to both versions so you can compare for yourself: Cigar Pencil Kit - 24kt Gold - WoodTurningz

Cigar Pencil Kit - Chrome - WoodTurningz

Mr Vic

Alphageek . . . For what ever reason the link to Exotic's brought up some sort of pen last night and I was thinking...what the??? It's going to the Schmidt converter now and it should do the trick if depending on size pen desired.

Thanks TimS124... Gives me another option dependent on what type "pen" he want to convert he wants

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Vic,

I have not, personally, used the .9mm. So, I can't give you "step by step" instructions.

I know the standard size nib on many pens has to be enlarged, due to the size of the nib to accommodate the .9 lead. The actual size of the nib that must emerge from your pencil design is .115".

Hope this helps, sorry I have never done one!!

Ed

Mr Vic

Ed, Was thinking of a Black Titanium Wall ST II Elegant...Very Similar to your Sierra Elegant if not the same of a different name. If you have a spare moment between checking in inventory could you check one... If it fits I'll have a single source as opposed to multi sources and hoping they blend..

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Vic,

The .9mm will not just "slip in". You will have to modify the nib on the pen.

I would buy a couple chrome sierras and a couple .9mm inserts and get the concept to work, then modify the real pen you plan to sell.

I view these components as "toys for those who are tired of just a kit".

Experimentation is the best way to find what works.

Yes, the Wall Street series are made by Berea, so we do offer exactly the same pen, a little lower cost. But, you have to wait for the mailman:eek::eek:.....bummer!:frown::frown:

IWC

The Schmidt DSM 2006 Pencil Mechanism .7 worked great ! Turned my pen into a pencil with just a quick length trim. The pencil mechanism with the twist pen works perfect.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Schmidt DSM 2006 Pencil Mechanism .7 worked great ! Turned my pen into a pencil with just a quick length trim. The pencil mechanism with the twist pen works perfect.

This is true for the .5 and .7mm versions.

The .9 won't fit through the "stock" nib hole.

Top Bottom