9/11 Attack on September 2001

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tony's Pens

It is hard to believe it has been 9 years since America came under attach on 9/11. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was at work and saw a special news break and could not believe what I was seeing when it was reported that a plane had crash into the World Trade Center. Then the truth was shown that America was under attach when the second World Trade Center was hit by another plane. I can remember the sinking feeling in my stomach and the overwhelming since of grief for the family's of all the victims. Then if it wasn't bad enough the Pentagon was attached.

This attack was well planned and executed. I will never forget and hope all of Americans will also never forget what happen that day.

I am sure there are some members of this association that may have known someone that perished on 9/11.

If you feel comfortable please share the persons name that perished on 9/11 and your relationship to them. I am sure that everyone would like to keep their family and friends in there thoughts and prayers.

America will Stand Strong and will not be broken.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

capcrnch

At 10:00am that morning, I took a call at work from a local firechief who was my old boss (I was an EMT for a few years until the state did some restructuring in the cities). He was contacting current and former paramedics that were willing to drive to NY and help. I didn't think twice, I left work, ran home, packed a bag, called my wife and told her I was going.
14 hours later, we pulled up on scene and got to work right away. I was there for 5 days, helping crews, tending to injured, passing out water, helping cook/clean and in general, doing anything I could.

That 14 hour ride was ridiculous. I've done the ride home to NY from Michigan 50 times over the years. It's a standard 11 hour drive keeping close to the speed limit.
We were in a caravan of ambulances, fire trucks, police cars and even personal vehicles. We were driving about 80-90mph, bubbles on most of the way. We made great time, but when we got close to the city limits, we were in lockdown. There was no moving. A few of us actually jumped out of the passenger seats, grabbed a bag and ran across the bridge on foot to try and get through the crap.

You could see the smoke from the bridge. You could smell it from the bridge. I had no clue what I was about to get involved in, until we started getting closer to Manhattan. When we crossed the bridge, we were picked up by a NYC police truck who drove us a lot closer, a lot faster than we could have made it on foot. I remember getting out of the truck with miles to go still, grabbing my bag and seeing people on the sides of the roads with dust on them, telling us things like "good luck", "go get 'em" and "God will help us".. I didn't understand at that point, because we hadn't seen pictures or any coverage, just what we heard on the radio. As we were running up the eerily abandoned streets, I realized the skyline that I usually saw, wasn't the same. Obviously I knew the buildings had come down, but I guess you don't realize what it would be like without those mighty landmarks. It's funny; when we were nearing the Penn/Jersey border, I had to pee SO bad. We needed gas soon, but figured we would make it and we'd just worry about it at a later date.
It was probably 6 hours later that I pee'd. You just don't think about it when you're in that kind of slop. You forget everything else in your life and all of your priorities and thoughts change.

I worked along side my uncle who was a Manhattan firefighter, an uncle that was an NYC cop and other relatives who were from Long Island FD's. I slept maybe a total of 6 hours in those 5 days. I was hugged by literally thousands of people and had my hand squeezed by thousands more.
I put my family through absolute hell because I couldn't call or make contact for at least 3 days (no cell reception, no available lines, no time).
I had nightmares for a couple of months after returning home. The smell there was something I could never describe to anyone. To this day, I still catch a whiff of something that reminds me of it and makes me sick. It was at least a month after getting home that I still smelled the stench of dead bodies/burning/dust/dirt/nasty.
I threw away all my clothes before I even walked back in my house, but for some weird psychological reason, I could still smell that stench in my closet or on the couch, or on the bed.. It was just so real.

As someone who grew up in NY (Brooklyn) and walked by these buildings on a somewhat regular basis, I was stunned and in awe. I'll never forget what we went through the following few days, but at the same rate, i'll never forget how the people of a city bonded and worked hand in hand to overcome a disaster.

While everyone thinks of those that passed on that day, don't forget all the firemen, policemen and EMT's that lost their lives, or were seriously injured during this.

That uncle I mentioned that was a Manhattan firefighter..
He was my hero growing up. He was only 4 years older than me and I spent my younger years trying to keep up with him and be just like him. He was a marine that became a paramedic afterward. So I jumped into paramedic classes right after high school. He made the move to firefighter and I started following suit and began working on the firefighters test. Michigan doesn't hire their Firefighters/EMT's like NY does, most of the EMT's here are outsourced through 3rd party companies and many of the firefighters are volunteer. I was actually looking into making the move to NY with my wife when this happened. Afterward, my wife just didn't feel comfortable, so it never happened.
Anyway, working with him, even if it were only minutes at a time and seeing his dedication (and ALL the NY emergency crews) was amazing. I can't type or speak words that would help someone understand what the people of NY did to help.
I was 28 at the time and it was so strange thinking "That's why I wanted to be like him".. It never occurred to me until then.

Last thing in this huge book i'm typing..
One of the days I was at a firehouse on an "off-shift", was out front getting a breather. An older black woman walked up to me and handed me a bottle of water and a pot full of food. I stood up to thank her and she fell into my arms in tears. I held that woman for 5 minutes as she cried. It wasn't that she lost a loved one, just that she lost a staple of her life.
Later that day we were grabbing our gear to head back out and 3 middle eastern kids ran up to us with food, drinks and just wanted to talk.
There was no color barrier, there was no religious barrier.. People were all the same for a few days.

People always ask me if I regret going because of the memories that were burned into our head when we got home.
Hell no.
We experienced the greatest brotherhood that this country has seen since WW2. We were part of the greatest city in the world bonding and becoming one united group, even if it was only a week, a month or a year. Those people worked as one and worked damn good together.

witz1976

No apologies needed, Cap. Thank you for your help and service.

I was serving in the Reserves and was in the sitting in an E-911 class as I just got hired as a dispatcher when I hear of the attacks. I remember someone coming in and saying that the trade tower got hit. We watched like thousands others as the second tower got hit, it was then I knew Stuff hit the fan. I called up my command informed them where I was. I then informed my instructor that if the phone rings is class I will be answering it and will be leaving. The call never came and was told by my chain of command to stay put.

My father lives in NY, 15 miles from the trade center. Back in the 80's he worked as a foreman for a construction company who renovated the towers. It is very surreal to know that just about everyone has some connection to the events that happened that day.

Toni

That morning I placed my three children on the school bus for school. I was cleaning up breakfast when the phone rang it was my mother, "Toni PUT ON THE NEWS NOW! People are jumping out of the twin towers!!" I put on the news and watched with horror while my mother was on the phone, no words and then the second plane hit and I collapsed to the ground crying, realizing my husband had gone into NYC that morning to work with the NYPD.

I was frozen. I have never experienced anything more frightening watching on TV as it all unfolded. Hung up with my mother to make phone calls, of coarse they went unanswered to Mark. I could not reach him. I did not know if he was alive where he was in the city if he made it in, he was taking the trains/subway's.

The phone started ringing from family, friends, Australia and New Zealand. What do you tell a mother when your son is in NYC? I had no answers...I knew nothing. I sat and cried and waited, then the school called to tell us they were sending all the children home ASAP. I had to figure out how do I tell my children there father was in NYC....

I was alone at home with the three children I did not want anyone with me I could not deal with the situation, finally around 6:30 Mark called me I just cried and he could not speak to me because I just cried and cried, "You are alive". He informed me the city was on lock down and he did not know when he would be able to get out of the city and home, but he was safe. I hugged the kids and made phone calls..

Both of my cousins live in NYC and survived, my brother worked across the twin towers in New Jersey from his office building watching the planes hit the twin towers one after another.. I will never forget that day.. This is my 9/11 and how I lived through it. Yes it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about all those people and the lives that were lost and that I was very lucky. Mark was stuck in the subway and did not even know what was happening above him.....

Russell Eaton

Thanks for the story Capt. it just goes to show you that regardless of race Americans WILL stick together in time of crisis. Thanks for your service. Russell

Chief Hill

I will try keeping it somewhat condensed as I type this on a blackberry. But like Cap I wan in the same boat. I live in Canada across a bridge from Detroit Michigan. I got a phone call from my boss at a private ambulance service I used to work for at about 1030am 9 years ago today. I was asked to turn on the TV and see what was happening. Seeing as I just finished a midnights shift I was out of it. He told me that we were sending a few rigs to assist in the recovery efforts. Next thing I know 30 minutes later I was in a rig on our way to NYC. 15 hrs later we arrived in NYC lost with no idea where to go. I stopped at an intersection where a cop was speaking with a man in a limo and a lady. I went to the cop and said sorry to cut in on the conversation but can you give me directions. The man got out of the limo and told the uniform cop to get back to traffic duty and said. Where are you guys from. I said Canada. This guy said you drove here from Canada???? I said yes we did. He said well I am the Chief of Police. I will take you guys there personally. I was like Wow!!! I just met the chief of police nyc. 55000 uniformed cops there and we bump into the Chief lol. Long story short we were tasked at the pile next to a makeshift morgue where we bagged deceased after doctors and nurses attempted to Id the bodys we then moved them to a staging area a short distance away where they had the facility s to prepare the deceased for further identification and notification to next of kin. I have seen and heard so much there that next to nothing will phase me anymore I will never forget the smell and some of the sights I have seen I will never forget the endless amount of Salvation army trucks red cross and other People helping feed us when we were hungry or needed something. The lineups of people along chealsea peers cheering on the first responders was amazing it was like driving in a parade and kept us motivated to keep going even when we were tired. I was there for 5 days before they seemed to really have it Together so we left as our assistance was no longer required. Seeing as I didn't sleep while I was there I slept all the way home on the stretcher in the back of the rig. I hope to travel back to NYC on day and see it in all its glory. .

I remember the disbelief, the total shock and the numbness. I later found out a friend of mine was at the top of one of the towers for a morning breakfast meeting, Vlad left behind a wife and child.

As this developed through the day another amazing story developed here in Canada, many fights US bound landed here. The strongest story of note were the many many flights that landed in Newfoundland. Over the course of the next week, Newfoundlanders became the hosts to many hundreds of people and gave the meaning of kindness a profound new face, Newfoundlanders stood up and gave warmth and heart to the world. I am so proud of our Newfoundlanders. 37 flights with 10,000 passengers were diverted to Gander, a town of 7,000.

A book was written about it

http://www.popmatters.com/books/reviews/d/day-the-world-came-to-town.shtml

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Strange

I was in my truck moving some things for a neighbor and heard on radio it shortly after the 1st plane hit...the report said it was a "small plane" so I didn't even bother turning on the TV at first, just continued what I was doing. I later heard on the radio that a 2nd plane had hit the other tower and immediately thought oh my God ... terrorists. I turned on the TV only minutes before the first tower colapsed...

markgum

thanks all for your service.
I just arrived at work in CA; and we all were sent home. My family and I just sat in Awe as the events unfolded.

jimm1

All I can do is cry. Yep. I still cry about it. I watched those towers going up. My office overlooked the NYC skyline back then. I lost a few friends because as a result of the towers falling. I just can't get this out of my mind.
Yesterday, I visited a U.S. History class at my school and the teacher was showing a slide show. I wept.

PTownSubbie

I was onboard the USS Minneapolis Saint Paul (SSN 708) about to get underway for an inspection. One of the riders that came onboard started asking questions about what was happening in NYC. We all looked at him like he had three eye-balls. It was then that he realized we had no idea onboard what was happening.

He got on the 1MC (loud speaker throughout the entire boat) and explained that we were under attack and one of the towers had fallen. The decision to get us underway was made and we didn't get many updates but got word that they were sortieing the entire submarine force out of Norfolk.

There is something to be said to be onboard such a powerful strategic asset and listening to the President discuss what had just happened. We made some modifications to the 1MC and lined up to listen to the Presidents speech live. That was one of the more inspirational things I had experienced throughout my career. Made me feel good to be an American serving the country.

We were underway for a couple of weeks so had no pictures or video of what had happened. One of the persons onboard had received a video during one of our brief stops from his wife. We put that video in and I was in disbelief at what I had seen!!! Who in the world could do this to us? Needless to say, I am glad that I got to see the summary but feel for all of you that had to be exposed to all that distruction continuously because I can only imagine how often the news played the impact and collapse over and over again.

Since then, I have been on several missions in support of the war on terror. I fully support all the things we do to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

God Bless America and here's to making sure another 9/11 never happens again!!

bitshird

I was a Civil Eng. Tech on a Federal Prison in Forest city Ar. I had just walked out the door of the Lab and some one said we were being bombed in NY. I went back in the office and turned on a little TV we had.
I damn near threw up, I actually did cry for about 10 minutes until the shock turned to anger, I watched in total disbelief as the second plane took out the second tower, I had never felt such horrible emotions and such a sense of helplessness and I pray to God I never have a feeling like that again. all 4 of us in the lab sat there most of the day paralyzed by what we saw.

moke

Awesome story Capt....Obie would be proud. Fred, you should be proud too. As I have mentioned a couple of times on this site, I own a Photographic Studio during the day and work as a Policeman at night. When I go to Las Vegas, I always buy a couple NYPD T-shirts. I wear them under my BP vest, every shift, to honor the fallen NYPD, FD, and EMS officers. Actually most of our guys do.
Mike aka: Moke

Padre

I was a chaplain at Ground Zero, NYC, for many, many months. I was stationed out of St. Paul's Chapel, right at Ground Zero.

I remember the first week of "rescue" work. Then it went to 'recovery.'

Some of my most vivid memories of the time......
---the utter devotion of the many volunteers literally getting on their hands and knees to sift through the wreckage.

---every time 'something' human was found, the tears that came to so many people's eyes.

---the utter exhaustion of the volunteers.

---The good folks who fed, clothed and made the beds inside the chapel for the volunteers to eat, sleep and get refreshed.

---The spontaneous memorial that surrounded and almost engulfed St. Paul's Chapel.

---that I was there to counsel, but also to bless the bodies that were found. In the months I was there, there was never a whole body found. I gave Last Rites to thousands of "parts" of people.

---The despair and anxiety of the wifes/husbands/loved ones of those who perished. I would like to tell a long story, for you, for them and for me, then I'll stop my rambling:

One night, it was about 2 am, a group of 7 folks a came to the fence line that surrounded the site. For some reason I was drawn to go over and talk to them. Each of them had lost a spouse: there were two men and 5 women. One of the women, about 30 or so, was obviously in quite a bit more turmoil than the others. They were there to 'do something' but I didn't know what. I took them in to St. Paul's Chapel, even though technically it was off limits to 'civilians.' We talked for quite a while and then it came out: the one woman was there to say good-bye, as the others had already done. She was the last.

I took them to the site, to a platform that was built that overlooked it. There, at 4 am, this woman called out "Paul, come home Paul. It's time to come home. Your two sons miss you desperately. I love you and I want you to come home now."

We all lost it. We were all sobbing with her. We stood with her and after about 1/2 hour of silence, she shouted out "We love you Paul. We love you Paul. Good bye my love."

After about another 15 minutes of silence, we all went our separate ways.

About 5 weeks later they found me again, and we have been in touch many times.

There are many more stories, many more long nights. The sounds, smells and people, from the first week to the last, will be with me for the rest of my life.

RyanNJ

I remember that i was sitting in school (3rd grade) and the announcements came on instructing teachers to pass out a paper face down and and to have us put it in our backpacks. so we did as instructed, soon after the busses came and we all left. I knew something had happened because when the bus arrived at my stop i could see my dad's car out front, it should not have been there he should have been at work. My mom was home because she was recovering from back surgery, she was watching GMA or something similar and saw it happen. immediately she called my dad and told him to come home ASAP, He did just that because he was unsure if his company would be put on lockdown and not let anybody leave. Well when i walked into the house i saw my mom glued to the TV as well as my dad. They explained to me what happened and we watched the TV until my brother got home and they had to explain it to him. Then all 4 of us watched the TV all day.

To all of you who were actively engaged in NYC. Thank you for all you did

AceMrFixIt

Nine years ago today I was on the fantail(square end for you side steppin beach creatures) of the USS Carney getting ready to go out to play war games. Needless to say the games didnt happen. We went up and down the coast for about a week looking for more planes in trouble. The day was one I will never forget..........The day before my birthday.....

jttheclockman

We Shall Always Remember

Words are just hard to put on paper that describe my thoughts on that day. My connection to the people lost and to the towers themselves is all but distant but none the less there was some connection. I am an IBEW member of a NJ local. From 1980 to 1986 I worked in NYC out of IBEW Local#3. I worked all over NY at that time but did work for 1 year in lower Manhatten near the Trade Towers. I walked past those towers everyday. I always was inspired by the shear size and being in the construction business I also knew the work that went into building towers of this nature.

On that frightful day 20 brothers of the IBEW lost their lives. ( 16 from IBEW LU#3 and 4 from IBEW LU#1212) They along with so many were there just to do a days work and earn a paycheck. On that event full day so many lives and familys were turned upside.

The brave men and women who probably knew may not emerge from those ruins headed off to do their jobs in trying to save lives. My town as well as just about every town in NJ sent firefighters there to assist. For all these heroic people I applaud you and thank you. To all the brave men and women in our armed forces around the world who are trying their very best to keep these things from happening I stand up and applaud you too.

As for where I was, well I was working on a Data center in central NJ. That was a clear and bright day and you were able to look across the river and see the Towers very clearly. When news got around the job about the plane hitting the tower we all went to the roof and watched in horror as smoke poured out of the building and then we witnessed what noone thought possible the collapse of the tower and then it happened all again and this time when you looked over in that area and saw nothing but smoke it was so unreal it is hard to describe. The next thing I knew it the feds were locking down the facility we were working at because there were government work going on. They did let the construction workers out because we were in another end of the facility. All we kept thinking was how are we getting home because most of us cross large bridges and if they were targeted we were doomed. Well after a long trip home I turned the tv on and the rest is history. History that I hope never ever happens again.

This is a day that will forever be remembered. Words can not describe it.

keithlong

I will never forget that day. I was at work and remember watching it on tv in the breakroom, as we were called and told to turn on the tv. The thought that ran through my mind was, oh my God we are under attack!! That was a horrible day and one I will never forget. I too want to thank all of you who had a part in helping those in need during that time. The next couple of days after that I began seeing America come together as one people and helping others as I have never seen before. I honestly believe that again we need to all stand together and let those that think it is ok to build their church there know, it is just plain wrong. Soory about the rant, I just get mad thinking about it.

capcrnch

Awesome story Capt....Obie would be proud. Fred, you should be proud too. As I have mentioned a couple of times on this site, I own a Photographic Studio during the day and work as a Policeman at night. When I go to Las Vegas, I always buy a couple NYPD T-shirts. I wear them under my BP vest, every shift, to honor the fallen NYPD, FD, and EMS officers. Actually most of our guys do.
Mike aka: Moke

I think I have about 10 shirts left that were sent to me by friends/relatives. That's just what I have left... I would guess i've had as many as 40 sent to me.

I still wear them proudly on a regular basis. I wear my NYFD hat a lot too.
Those are the good memory items. The things that are a constant reminder of the brotherhood that took a hit, but got back up stronger and pushed on!

islandturner

Nearly everyone has a story about the morning of 9/11, and can remember many details of the day. It's a bit like the day President Kennedy was assassinated – I was 13 and can remember things vividly.
At work on the morning of 9/11, many of us rallied around a co-worker, whose daughter worked in an office just a few blocks from the world trade center. He tried all morning to get her on the phone, but systems were understandably overloaded. She was a newlywed – her husband was a lawyer. His firm's offices were in one of the twin towers. Finally late morning (west coast time) she got through to him. She was trapped in her office because of debris in the street from the now collapsed towers, but she was okay; they were in no danger, and it would just be a matter of time before they were rescued or found a way out. Oh, and her husband had worked late the night before, and decided to take the morning off... He was at home, watching it all on TV.
One of my clients is based in Whitehorse, capital city of the Canadian Yukon Territories. He's in communications at the local airport. I had dinner with him some time later, and he told me his story. Mid morning, they were advised that two 747's inbound from Europe were being diverted to the Whitehorse airport – there was concern that they had also been hijacked. Much of Whitehorse and all schools were evacuated – the citizens were bordering on panic, believing that these aircraft might come down in their city. The RCMP closed the Alaska Highway. My client remained at the airport through it all, but had no idea of where his wife and kids were. Canadian and US fighter aircraft had intercepted the two 747's and escorted them to the Whitehorse airport, where they landed without incident. The hijacking fears turned out to be false alarms.
These flights with over 400 people on board each were not allowed to leave for three days. Whitehorse doesn't have much in the way of accommodation, so the locals took as many strangers into their homes as they could manage, and put them up until the fly-ban was lifted. Many lifelong friendships were forged – many of those 800 or so passengers have since returned to the city, in happier times.
Steve

Top Bottom