7mm Hornady

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

Some of you might remember the antler score I had a couple months ago. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/got-antler-94728/

Then I asked for help learning how to drill bullets for nibs. Many of you were gracious to share your recommendations. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/drilling-bullets-please-help-95962/

Here is my first attempt using a bullet for a pen nib. This is a 7mm Hornady cartridge & bullet with antler. This pen is going to the man that brought me all of the antler. This is the type of ammo he hunts with.

The pen rest is yellow pine with a small antler tip.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Antler - 7mm Hornaday Cartridge.jpg
    Antler - 7mm Hornaday Cartridge.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I drilled some bullets but it was not easy because I used lead core. I would look at barnes solid brass bullets for this. I used my lathe to drill them and it was actually very easy. Hope that helps again I would not use lead core they tend to grab the drill and snap them off.

Nice pen 7mm is a very good round and it makes a great pen too.

Last edited:

THarvey

This 7mm was a lead core bullet. I drilled the back then melted the lead out. The hollow point was too large for the ink cartridge. Followed on of the suggestions from my bullet drilling thread and used the flat of my skew to spin down the tip of the bullet, making the opening smaller.

RosezPenZ

Then I asked for help learning how to drill bullets for nibs. Many of you were gracious to share your recommendations. Drilling Bullets - Please Help

Tim thanks so much. I followed back to that thread about drilling the tips. I'm starting that learning curve myself right now.
Nice looking pen.

Alzey

Nice looking pen and stand.

If you plan to make more, you may want to look at the Hornady GMX line of bullets. They are a solid copper/zinc alloy with no lead core. On the 30 cal round, I drill from the back of the bullet first. Then I use a file to flatten the red ballistic tip. Using a drill bit in the tail stock, I only have to push the rest of the red tip thought the back of the bullet and it is the right size for a cross refill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom