7mm "higher end" kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HawksFeather

Since some buyers seem to like a smaller or thinner pen, I have tried a few of the standard 7mm pen kits that sell for around $5 to $7 and while they work, they just don't seem to be the quality that I would like. Namely some allow the refill to twist back into the pen when you start writing. I have seen where Berea and Arizona Silhouette have a 7mm locking kit that sells for $11. Has anyone given these a try or is there a 7mm in the standard style that works better than the ones I have been buying? Without naming names, I have tried the 7mm kits from at least seven sources and they all seem to be about the same. I am not having problems with the fit or finish, just the creep of the refill. Here is a link to the $11 model.
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Greek_Key_Ball_Point_TG.html

Thanks,

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Name names...we're all adults here...tell us what you have tried so we don't just tell you to try those you have already. Personally, I like the streamline 7mm flat top ball points...but maybe you've tried that one...I don't know.
http://arizonasilhouette.com/Berea_Hardwoods_Pen_Kit_Images_13.htm

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Without naming names, I have tried the 7mm kits from at least seven sources and they all seem to be about the same. I am not having problems with the fit or finish, just the creep of the refill. Here is a link to the $11 model.

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:

tim self

And my experience of "creeping"/retracting refills is the barrel to short/trans in to far. That way the trans does not complete it's turn and lock. Just my .03.

HawksFeather

I have never seen naming names resulting in much of a positive on open forums. I say company A, B, C, & D, then supporters and opposition to company A, B, C, & D start to offer their thoughts and it goes downhill rapidly. I am just trying to find quality without any drama.

Jerry

ldb2000

ALL 7mm transmissions have a lock at the end of rotation . If you are having a problem with the refill pushing back in the most common cause is that the transmission was pushed too far into the blank or the barrel was trimmed too short which will cause the refill to bottom out in the nib before the transmission has reached the locking point . This is a VERY common problem . Of all the slimline kits and transmissions I have used from all the different manufacturers over the years I have never seen a transmission without this lock feature , even the very cheap $1.50 kits have it .

Last edited:

Mark

Agreed. I had two different slims I made and they would creep upon use. I backed the trans out, ever so slightly. That was the solution. All my slims to date are from WC.

There I said it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

yost69

I have bought slims from Wooturningz, PSI, wood n whimsies and a couple other places that I cant remember. Some were very cheap kits to experiment with and others were mid grade kits. Have only had backout when the tranny was pushed in to far.

I have bought extra trannys and other parts due to the fact that some people state that they have had problems with the trannys not working correctly but I have not had an issue as of yet.

Ben

papNal

I posted a month or two back about some pen returns that I had when the customer installed CROSS refills bought carded at Office Depot.The new refills would not lock in the extended position.After much head scratching(seems no one on forum had run into this problem)I finally found ,I think, the problem I had.First the Cross refill was thicker than the kit refill,the kits from CHINA had a nib hole a little too small for the larger dia. refill to fit into.I bought a Cross refill to use as a gage,about 1 out of every 3 nibs in the China kits,regardless which vendor sold them,had this problem.If you take a kit refill and insert it into an uninstalled nib.it'll protrude almost 1/4 " ,some of the nibs using the Cross refill will only protrude about 3/16".With (for me) a little less than 1/8" normal stick out,the cross was not being able to go out far enough to lock.Now I check all nibs and the ones that are faulty I ream out a little with a 1/8" drill bit running in reverse so as not to drill out the whole nib.This has worked for me hope it helps and not confuse too much.Cheers John

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Since some buyers seem to like a smaller or thinner pen, I have tried a few of the standard 7mm pen kits that sell for around $5 to $7 and while they work, they just don't seem to be the quality that I would like. Namely some allow the refill to twist back into the pen when you start writing. I have seen where Berea and Arizona Silhouette have a 7mm locking kit that sells for $11. Has anyone given these a try or is there a 7mm in the standard style that works better than the ones I have been buying? Without naming names, I have tried the 7mm kits from at least seven sources and they all seem to be about the same. I am not having problems with the fit or finish, just the creep of the refill. Here is a link to the $11 model.

Thanks,

Jerry
I sell low end kits (I've sold about 40,000 kits) and have never had that problem, nor have I had any of my more than 1000 customers report it so I would guess that it is something in the way you are assembling the pen,

DurocShark

I've found that many of the inexpensive transmissions need to be "broken in". The waxy goop used inside prevents a full range of travel. Working the trans a bunch of times usually cures the problem. Very rarely I have to flush the trans with solvent to clear it, but then a replacement lubricant must be used.

Top Bottom