70 years old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I had to re-machine a piece of 70 year old Ebonite today. It's from the early 40's and worth about $2,000. I only had one shot at it and it had to be perfect. After nearly two hours of setting up, I began the machining, just a fuzz needed to be removed and not another one to reference from. Well, it took 20 minutes to machine the fuzz off of it and I lost a couple quarts of sweat in the process, but it was successful. I hate when they bring me these jobs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
Sorry, no pics. It was a rush job and they don't allow us to photograph the pieces.:frown:

Monolith

I don't get it... $2k for ebonite? Isn't that the stuff they make bowling balls out of? Good job not messing it up, though! :biggrin:

DozerMite

Banned
Sorry, I forgot to mention, this isn't a pen. It was for my employer and yes it is the stuff bowling balls and many other things are made from.
This particular piece is irreplaceable. If I screwed it up...well, I probably wouldn't have a job. It is a customer piece that was sent to us to machine to a different dimension. It was pretty cool to see a piece of Ebonite that old. The parts that had been covered were still black and the rest turned to the natural color...brown. It was easy to tell it had been well used and also well taken care of. Even after 70 years, it machined just like one of the fresh pieces I do daily.

Jgrden

:bananen_smilies051:I thought we were celebrating your seventieth. Sheesh, how stupid I feel. You post was, however, more interesting.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nah

I had to re-machine a piece of 70 year old Ebonite today. It's from the early 40's and worth about $2,000. I only had one shot at it and it had to be perfect. After nearly two hours of setting up, I began the machining, just a fuzz needed to be removed and not another one to reference from. Well, it took 20 minutes to machine the fuzz off of it and I lost a couple quarts of sweat in the process, but it was successful. I hate when they bring me these jobs.

You loved it - they bring you those jobs because they think you're the best. It shows your darned good at what you do and we all like that feeling.

Monolith

Sorry, I forgot to mention, this isn't a pen. It was for my employer and yes it is the stuff bowling balls and many other things are made from.
This particular piece is irreplaceable. If I screwed it up...well, I probably wouldn't have a job. It is a customer piece that was sent to us to machine to a different dimension. It was pretty cool to see a piece of Ebonite that old. The parts that had been covered were still black and the rest turned to the natural color...brown. It was easy to tell it had been well used and also well taken care of. Even after 70 years, it machined just like one of the fresh pieces I do daily.

Well geez now i'm dying to know what it is! Can you give us a :wink: if we guess right? :biggrin:

I'm thinking... pool queue?

DozerMite

Banned
You loved it - they bring you those jobs because they think you're the best. It shows your darned good at what you do and we all like that feeling.

No... I truly do not like doing those jobs. The feeling I had was butterflies in the stomach and uncontrollable shaking of the hands. If they thought I was the best... then my paycheck would reflect that.:redface::frown:

Well geez now i'm dying to know what it is! Can you give us a :wink: if we guess right? :biggrin:

I'm thinking... pool queue?

Sorry, I don't make those.

Top Bottom