#%$^$%#!@$%^

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

That is roughly what my husband had to say about the situation!

My husband isn't into turning, but he enjoys cutting up pen blanks for me. I had an offcut of 2" thick walnut with a big knot in it. I like to turn pens with knotty wood, but this one had a big gap along the edge of the knot. I ran in some thin CA, but ran out, so I used Med CA to fill the gap along one edge of the knot. Then, I decided to dump in some gold glitter. I sprayed it lightly with accellerator so it wasn't sticky, and set it aside to cure.

I was working on the lathe when my husband came into the workshop. He saw the wood sitting there and decided to cut it up for me. The next thing I knew, he was uttering the above phrase! The first pass on the table saw, he didn't notice the CA spewing out from the blank. He got the message when on the second pass, the blank fused to the riving knife.

He had to clean CA and gold giltter off the top of the table saw (granite top Ridgid), the fence, the riving knife, the Freud sawblade, and himself. He was not a happy camper. I am now out of acetone.

Sharon

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Oh the joys of woodworking. At least everything is still good. AND no one got injured. Been there, done that. No available t-shirts though.

phillywood

Sharon, next time to avoid those kind of accidents put a blue painters tape over your planks or what ever that needs to be cut with a note that NOT READY CA GLUED or READY TO CUT, then you don't have to learn his new Lang. as what he uttered. Plus, it would always avoids mistakes as well as any possible dangerous accidents that my occur as a result of lack of info..
the good thing is that he didn't get hurt other stuff can be replaced ,but Human or any other bodily injury is something to be regretted.
Oh, BTW, Don't resort to cheap Acetone, buy the one form KEELN som... in blue can form the hardware store since i have had my share of headaches form the debonder as well as cheap Acetone. the real stuff will save the day and make sure it's away from heat and cap it tight.

Good luck on the next blank or maybe if this one is salvaged.

jskeen

Oh the joys of woodworking. At least everything is still good. AND no one got injured. Been there, done that. No available t-shirts though.

Actually, I do have one of those t-shirts. has a nice line of blue glitter CA spattered from about waist hi to the right shoulder. :)

mwenman

Actually, I do have one of those t-shirts. has a nice line of blue glitter CA spattered from about waist hi to the right shoulder. :)

Who would have thought that pen turning would also produce a designer t-shirt line?

Top Bottom