60 degree live center?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbros

im want to buy a 6o degree live center. is this the center that most penturners work with? can someone post a picture. any links? Its happening again. The tip on my current(pretty new)center is getting grindes away by the metal on the mandrel and i hardly put on any pressure. ill need one soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1189

stock #1189 standard duty live center or get the MT#1 if that is what your lathe requires.

DO NOT get the heavy duty model. It is too big for pen work

johnson

Get the heavy duty one. It is comparable in size to the One-Way and that one works just fine. You may want to use it for something other than pens in the future. A 60 degree point is a 60 degree point. You aren't turning out over the bearings.

bdar

As Johnson said 60 degrees is 60 degrees no matter whether standard or heavy duty. I use a heavy duty on my VL100, VL850 and VL300, as well as a Carb-a-Tec mini lathe which has a No. 1 morse taper

M

Mudder

Originally posted by johnson
<br />Get the heavy duty one. It is comparable in size to the One-Way and that one works just fine. You may want to use it for something other than pens in the future. A 60 degree point is a 60 degree point. You aren't turning out over the bearings.

I agree, despite what Randall says I have a heavy duty one and it works just fine.

its_virgil

The 60* live center fits the 60* slot on the end of the pen mandrel. The live center that comes with the jet is not 60* and probably not with ohter brands either. The live center you are using has the "grinds" on the tip because it is not 60*. I've went through 3 Jet live centers not knowing they weren't 60*. I got the 60* live center from THe LIttle MachingShop and it looks the same now as it did 18 mos ago when I bought it. I did not get the super heavy duty industrial strength one. I think the one I purchased sold for somewhere close to $12.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by penbros
<br />im want to buy a 6o degree live center. is this the center that most penturners work with? can someone post a picture. any links? Its happening again. The tip on my current(pretty new)center is getting grindes away by the metal on the mandrel and i hardly put on any pressure. ill need one soon.

johnson

I guess the reason I would opt for the heavy duty is that [gasp] eventually turning pens gets old and you may want to tackle bowls or some other large turnings. Why have two live centers other than having more than one lathe. The count is now three.

its_virgil

Nothing wrong with the heavy duty one. I've used the oneway live center to turn pens and it works just fine. I also use the one I bought($12 one) for bowls and baseball bats and it works fine also. Get what you think you need. Your logic is not fuzzy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by johnson
<br />I guess the reason I would opt for the heavy duty is that [gasp] eventually turning pens gets old and you may want to tackle bowls or some other large turnings. Why have two live centers other than having more than one lathe. The count is now three.

penbros

i think my lathe requires a #2 taper because when i bought my mandrel i bought the "#2" mandrel. i also will get the heavy duty one because i dont just turn pens. Thanks for all of the info everyone![8D]

Pipes

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1189

stock #1189 standard duty live center or get the MT#1 if that is what your lathe requires.

DO NOT get the heavy duty model. It is too big for pen work

I agree with the above thou IMHO you need to get the greaqse out of it or I did mine and oil it .. or some WD 40 !! Fantastic well made BUY the cheap one the heavy duty is not for us pen turners I had to send the heavy duty one back and get the cheaper one !! But it is made well and works great I ordered a second one just to have here I like it so well !!! I found all this out thanks to the guys here !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jcollazo
<br />Here's the link for the heavy duty model

http://tinyurl.com/gu32m

This model really is for metal work.

Joe

Here is a link to the Oneway for comparison

http://www.oneway.on.ca/spindle/live_center.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.