60 degree live center and motor getting HOT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petricore

I just bought a floor model of a jet midi (looks like its never been used) and a 60 degree live center from craft supplies USA and the 60 degree live center gets too hot to touch after a few minutes of turning. I am going to call them and make sure its rated for 4K rpm's but I've talked to them about it already and they say it shouldnt be happening. I also felt the underside of the motor tonight and it was a bit too hot to touch as well. Could I be making the belt too tight and causing too much heat in the motor and center at the same time ? Is the motor normally supposed to be too hot to touch comfortably ? Is it possible its already going out ?
Any help would be great !

-Linc

Dario

Try lubricating.

I bought a 60* live center from LMS and had some squealing sound as well as heating. I just took it off and poured some motor oil (Mobil 1) in it. Solved the problem and after 8 months or so...still no problem. Not sure how to lubricate the headstock bearings though.

I have a Jet mini and it doesn't get very hot that I can tell. I don't really feel the motor but have touched it a few times while cleaning after long turning sessions.

Petricore

I will try lubricating the center and see if it helps. The way I am chucking it up is I push it in, turn on the lathe and crank the tailstock till it just barely starts spinning and the vibration goes away.
As far as the motor goes. I've read alot of stuff saying its normal, and saying that it is a bad motor. I am running it just with a mostly done pen chucked in to see how bad it gets (after I redid the belt as loose as I felt it could go and still spin). As of right now touching it doesnt get too hot to touch until about 5 seconds of contact, then i can't hold my hand on there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom