5th kitless - Stardust resin from ExoticBlanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

Ok, this one was a bit tougher. Blank is, I belive, PR (correct me if I'm wrong) and I've heard a lot that PR is not easy for kitless. But I've had to try!:)
The other concern was that it has A LOT of metal flakes, I was thinking that it might be impossible to thread it. But with a care.... It is definitely much more brittle than alumilite, but possible to go kitless:)

Body/cap blank - one piece of 6" Stardust Blue Lagoon from ExoticBlanks
Section blank - Stardust Midnight Skies
Nib/feed - Schmidt from IndyPenDance

Capped length 125mm
Uncapped 118mm
Diameter 15.3mm
Full weight 20g, uncapped - 16g.

I really like look and feel of that pen! Resin look really pays of a bit of more effort put into it.

9456342359_81e0bcd622_z.jpg

9456343073_54a16ed502_z.jpg

9459123056_7ac9ea6c91_z.jpg

9459118984_e38975662b_z.jpg

9456337459_82d671f84c_z.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

One of the reason I've tried PR, is that I have still a box of blanks from Jonathon Brooks that I've won on Russ Fairfield contest:) Knowing it is PR I wanted to try something less valuable first:)))

Actually, it's my first "big" kitless, and still it took not that much time - around 4 hours, including design. I've managed to ruin first barrel threading, though, being not careful with drilling, had to redo that once:)

It already take me around 45min to make section, which is pretty fast (though I've ruined about 30cm of ebonite before I've got an idea how it should be done:)).

Finishing is slow, though, kit pens I finish much faster.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's a great pen, Yaro!!! Execution is fantastic.

"Finishing" should not be difficult---you can buff it with tripoli, then with white diamond and it will develop as bright a shine as you choose, based on when you stop buffing!!

dbledsoe

You are much better than I. I have wasted probably 6 blanks or more of that Stardust and have yet to complete a threaded part. I had begun to wonder if it can be done, but obviously you did it. Maybe I will dig out what I have left and try again. Great pen!

yaroslaw

Ed, by "finishing" I meant starting from 240 sandpaper. I haven't made any mandrel to hold kitless closed-end pens, so it's a matter of fixing it on the lathe. Anyway, even fixed it's a one part at a time (and three parts at all), while with kit pens I sand/polish/CA two barrels on 7mm mandrel (use it almost exclusively for finishing, turn TBC).

dbledsoe, make sure you have good (read: sharp!) die. I have one 10x1 and ruined pretty much of ebonite which usually threads better then anything (good news are it cost me near 0, so I can experiment on it). Other thing to check is correct diameter before threading, it should be a bit less then thread size (I use 11.75mm for 12x0.75 thread).

yaroslaw

Awesome work Yaroslaw. Makes me wish I was still traveling to you country so I could stop by and chat. Kept it up!
Thanks!

Any penturner from anywhere (especially, from IAP!) is always welcomed at my house!:)

And by the time, I've met in person only one of our kind (Alejanders, that makes mammoth ivory pens from Moscow).

Top Bottom