Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ochoabrian

I love herringbone pens, specially the 360 ones, but not necessarily the process of making them, so I designed a method to make them using a 3D printed core (what I call a skeleton) in which I add the wood segments. Aside of making the process much simpler (without considering the design of the skeleton) the waste is significantly smaller. Let me know what you think!
I am adding some pictures of the process and the results.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2499.jpeg
    IMG_2499.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2502.jpeg
    IMG_2502.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ochoabrian

Excellent. Great idea. I majestic 360 herringbone blanks the "old fashioned way". Lots of work and lots of waste but I too love the results.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks! It was a fun project and I had several variations using the same concept. Cheers
Wow. That is mind blowing. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting this!
thanks for you comment! Cheers
I love herringbone pens, specially the 360 ones, but not necessarily the process of making them, so I designed a method to make them using a 3D printed core (what I call a skeleton) in which I add the wood segments. Aside of making the process much simpler (without considering the design of the skeleton) the waste is significantly smaller. Let me know what you think!
Cheers
One more thing, the beauty of this process is that you don need to be precise in cutting the segments aside of course of the thickness. But the the shape can be a triangle or rectangle as long as there are one 90 deg angle ;)

Amihai

Cheers
Awesome!

PreacherJon

Cheers
May want to consider marketing that... really really nice!

d_bondi

Very Cool Brian! I love playing with my 3D printer, but never thought of this.

What material are you printing with? After gluing in the wood, is there anything you need to do with the printed portion to before turning? How much are you asking for the cores?

ochoabrian

Very Cool Brian! I love playing with my 3D printer, but never thought of this.

What material are you printing with? After gluing in the wood, is there anything you need to do with the printed portion to before turning? How much are you asking for the cores?
It is a UV resign material (abs like). I insert the segments and then I apply thing CA to the full blank. Super easy to assemble! Then I turn it between center (the cores have concentric holes for it. I am selling a pair (for a kit similar to the junior series size) for $15 plush shipping. Hope this help!
Cheers

d_bondi

It is a UV resign material (abs like). I insert the segments and then I apply thing CA to the full blank. Super easy to assemble! Then I turn it between center (the cores have concentric holes for it. I am selling a pair (for a kit similar to the junior series size) for $15 plush shipping. Hope this help!
Cheers
What are the diameter and lengths of the two pieces?

Top Bottom