360 herringbone how to????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Evidently the man that seems to know, has been very tight lipped.:frown: But, I'm thinking one more slip of the finger, so to speak, and a few pain killers, he'll sing like a bird!!:rolleyes:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Hint #3. For my method, it doesn't have to be a glued up blank. It can be built around a tube.

I will answer all yes/no questions.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm a firm believer in "discovery" being rewarded.

Whatever the pen sells for, now, it will drop precipitously when "everyone" can do it.

Make hay while the sun shines, guys!!!!! The time will come when SOMEONE tels EVERYONE how to do it. I HOPE you get this Christmas season, still commanding a premium.

Three years ago, shell casing pens did.
In here somewhere, corn cob pens did.
Last year, circuit board pens did!
This year, I doubt it.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
See below

Have you ever actually MADE one???
1_HBClosed.jpg

Was it pretty? See above, judge for yourself

Did it sell? Wasn't for sale

Ok, that's all I wanted to know!!

Thanks!!

DurocShark

Is it bigger than a bread box?

;)

I've nailed it in my void of a head. Drew a sketch real quick like. Gonna try it next weekend.

Texatdurango

I'm a firm believer in "discovery" being rewarded.

Whatever the pen sells for, now, it will drop precipitously when "everyone" can do it.

Make hay while the sun shines, guys!!!!! The time will come when SOMEONE tels EVERYONE how to do it. I HOPE you get this Christmas season, still commanding a premium.

Three years ago, shell casing pens did.
In here somewhere, corn cob pens did.
Last year, circuit board pens did!
This year, I doubt it.
Ed... Ed... Ed... I always looked up to you as my older brother and expected sage wisdom from you at all times but in this case you let me down with your rationale!

The last I looked the U.S. is a pretty big place and just because a guy in New Hampshire is making and selling a red white and blue rope design using a spalted pecan blank pen doesn't mean it will cut into the profits of a fellow in Arizona making the same pen and neither will affect the pen maker in Washington state.

While we here on the IAP see what each other makes doesn't mean that the average customer walking into a craft show in Topeka, Kansas will be familiar with what is being shown at a craft show in a suburb of Chicago.

Take the flag pen for example, I have sold plenty of them and doubt that you or anyone else selling them made any difference in the price I was getting for mine. I think this cloak and dagger thinking can only go so far.

Of course I have been wrong before (back in April of 1973) and could be wrong again (doubtful) :biggrin:

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
Thanks guys for all the tips and hints being banded around. When I asked the original question I thought someone would point me in the direction of a tutorial - but no.:) However I have gleaned some useful thoughts and tips and I might just be able to do it. I'll post a photo in about a years time:biggrin:.

akbar24601

George, I don't feel that you are being fair in your chastisement of Ed. You have failed to mention that this is a very digital age that we live in and our "small" world is getting "smaller" by the day. So I would say that these things do affect nearly every person in every town, globally!!! You also mentioned the guy in Topeka at the craft show, but what about 2, 5 or 10 guys now at that same craft show. I am not saying that all of these guys don't have the right to sell their goods, but I also think it makes for a little more of a level playing field when all of the contestants have worked toward what they are selling and not merely pawning someone elses sweat!

Is it so wrong to want to see people improve themselves and their skills by asking them to work for it. Believe me, there is nothing new that I bring to the table with my pens, but I do spend countless hours experimenting, learning and ultimately achieving what I produce. More times than not I feel like a hopeless hack who probably destroys more blanks than most people usually make, but when I do succeed I get the extrreme pleasure of being able to say "Holy Crap, I did it!!!". That is not something that I want so easily stripped away!

I am willing to help any and all who are willing to learn, but I don't think it's any fun to just sit back and watch someone make copies! I want to see someone who will take that design concept and run with it leaving me and hopefully everyone else in the dust!!!! Hell, he can have my booth at the craft show because he earned it!!!

Perhaps it's a little thing called honor. Those seem to be delicate little toes that seem to get stepped on quite easily in the big bad world of business! Some people do not know how to conduct themselves in a right manner and it usually seems to be the "Originator" who ends up getting screwed in the end!!!

Ed... Ed... Ed... I always looked up to you as my older brother and expected sage wisdom from you at all times but in this case you let me down with your rationale!

The last I looked the U.S. is a pretty big place and just because a guy in New Hampshire is making and selling a red white and blue rope design using a spalted pecan blank pen doesn't mean it will cut into the profits of a fellow in Arizona making the same pen and neither will affect the pen maker in Washington state.

While we here on the IAP see what each other makes doesn't mean that the average customer walking into a craft show in Topeka, Kansas will be familiar with what is being shown at a craft show in a suburb of Chicago.

Take the flag pen for example, I have sold plenty of them and doubt that you or anyone else selling them made any difference in the price I was getting for mine. I think this cloak and dagger thinking can only go so far.

Of course I have been wrong before (back in April of 1973) and could be wrong again (doubtful) :biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Have you ever actually MADE one???

Was it pretty?

Did it sell?

Ok, that's all I wanted to know!!

Thanks!!
These questions are easy to answer
1) Yes, one was made out of wood bought from you.
2) You are going to have to decide that one.
3) Not that one, it was given away as a very appreciated gift, I did have several offers on it though.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
George, I don't feel that you are being fair in your chastisement of Ed. You have failed to mention that this is a very digital age that we live in and our "small" world is getting "smaller" by the day. So I would say that these things do affect nearly every person in every town, globally!!! You also mentioned the guy in Topeka at the craft show, but what about 2, 5 or 10 guys now at that same craft show. I am not saying that all of these guys don't have the right to sell their goods, but I also think it makes for a little more of a level playing field when all of the contestants have worked toward what they are selling and not merely pawning someone elses sweat!

Is it so wrong to want to see people improve themselves and their skills by asking them to work for it. Believe me, there is nothing new that I bring to the table with my pens, but I do spend countless hours experimenting, learning and ultimately achieving what I produce. More times than not I feel like a hopeless hack who probably destroys more blanks than most people usually make, but when I do succeed I get the extrreme pleasure of being able to say "Holy Crap, I did it!!!". That is not something that I want so easily stripped away!

I am willing to help any and all who are willing to learn, but I don't think it's any fun to just sit back and watch someone make copies! I want to see someone who will take that design concept and run with it leaving me and hopefully everyone else in the dust!!!! Hell, he can have my booth at the craft show because he earned it!!!

Perhaps it's a little thing called honor. Those seem to be delicate little toes that seem to get stepped on quite easily in the big bad world of business! Some people do not know how to conduct themselves in a right manner and it usually seems to be the "Originator" who ends up getting screwed in the end!!!

Well said, I couldn't agree with you more.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tex, Tex, Tex (poor mis-directed Tex).

While I realize you have been exposed to thousands of acres of empty land and have sold myriad pens to the gophers, we live in an area of 8 million inhabitants (just Chicago) who "get out" on weekends. So, each little craft fair affects MY pricing in the "Big" shows.

You see, when there are dozens of hobbyists "lurking" on the IAP and waiting for an answer, they will then show up with a "knock off" (quality not disclosed) of this design at the "Little Sisters of the Poor weekly fund-raising craft show and abandoned pet sale". So, MY top-quality blank, purchased from it's rightful "inventor" is now put in the same category as the one "Joe Penmaker" and his wife "Jennie Jewelry" showed at LSotPwFRCSaAPS!!! By the way, have you SEEN Jennie's BEAUTIFUL elastic band BEAD jewelry???? Hard to believe she can part with a bracelet for only $3.00 with all those gorgeous plastic beads, don't you think???

So, jump back in your motor home and go park and set up a craft show. If you ever get within 100 miles of Chicago, I will know. I will hear you screaming, "Where did ALL THESE fine PEOPLE come from???" as you streak along at 300 feet per hour.

Thanks for your input!!! Go find a gopher!

(It really IS nice to have friends like Tex - he IS talented, but CAN take a ribbing ----GIVES it pretty good, too!!)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

While I realize you have been exposed to thousands of acres of empty land and have sold myriad pens to the gophers, we live in an area of 8 million inhabitants (just Chicago) who "get out" on weekends. So, each little craft fair affects MY pricing in the "Big" shows.

You see, when there are dozens of hobbyists "lurking" on the IAP and waiting for an answer, they will then show up with a "knock off" (quality not disclosed) of this design at the "Little Sisters of the Poor weekly fund-raising craft show and abandoned pet sale". So, MY top-quality blank, purchased from it's rightful "inventor" is now put in the same category as the one "Joe Penmaker" and his wife "Jennie Jewelry" showed at LSotPwFRCSaAPS!!! By the way, have you SEEN Jennie's BEAUTIFUL elastic band BEAD jewelry???? Hard to believe she can part with a bracelet for only $3.00 with all those gorgeous plastic beads, don't you think???

So, jump back in your motor home and go park and set up a craft show. If you ever get within 100 miles of Chicago, I will know. I will hear you screaming, "Where did ALL THESE fine PEOPLE come from???" as you streak along at 300 feet per hour.

(It really IS nice to have friends like Tex - he IS talented, but CAN take a ribbing ----GIVES it pretty good, too!!)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: You are funny.

bitshird

I was told by someone that the ends that connect or butts up to the next piece, aren't square, they are shaped similar to this<> only no space between but the are also cut at compound angles and are rectangular, I talked to this man who I consider to be one of the Outstanding creators of fantastic pens with beautiful themes and designs that pretty much defy imagination for about a half hour about this style pen.
The one part I haven't figured out is where to glue the first piece to the tube or do as Jeff said make a square rope which after contemplation sounds like the logical approach.
Every time I see guys looking for the easy way, I think about Eagles opinion, NO figure it out!! Although I have seen a pictorial tutorial of one of eagles earlier pens, it was on the Pen Shop which I think is now ceased to exist.
I think that looking at Bruce Robbins avatar should give a better Idea of how to lay it out the trick is in that compound angle and cutting enough pieces accurately.
I think with a catch box and a zero clearance fence, this could e done on a compound miter saw there was an article in the library on segmenting that eluded to this type of ox and showed it, http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/segpenblanks.pdf

CSue

Local Chapter Leader

Ed! You recognized me at the "Little Sisters of the Poor weekly fund-raising craft show and abandoned pet sale"???

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
A couple of people have contacted me and have said some nasty things to me, as far as I am concerned, save it, your just showing how little you truly know. If this is truly that important for you to learn, get out from behind your keyboard, go into your shop, and try to use your mind for something creative, unless that is asking too much.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A couple of people have contacted me and have said some nasty things to me, as far as I am concerned, save it, your just showing how little you truly know. If this is truly that important for you to learn, get out from behind your keyboard, go into your shop, and try to use your mind for something creative, unless that is asking too much.

I'll lend you my brain for a couple days, Then you can honestly tell them, you can't remember WHAT you did yesterday.

Can be VERY helpful, sometimes.!!

Top Bottom