30.06 tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

I was about to put together some 30.06 casings tonight when I realized that the tubes for a slimline arn't long enough for a 30.06 casing. O.K. What do you guys do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Is there any place to purchase tubes that are longer, so that you could cut to fit several?
Thanks!

gerryr

Go to a hobby store and buy 1/4"ID brass tube. The wall might be a bit thicker than regular slimline tubes but what really counts is the ID. I buy it in 3' lengths.

stevers

Hey Gerry, do the parts (nibs and trans) fit loose when you use the bulk tubes from the hobby store? I picked up a couple and the nib is reasonably loose. Loose enough to need to be glued in. Just curious.
I ended up buying the 10" lengths from woodcraft. No biggie.

Packrat

Passed Away Jun 3, 2020
In Memoriam
Originally posted by micah
<br />I was about to put together some 30.06 casings tonight when I realized that the tubes for a slimline arn't long enough for a 30.06 casing. O.K. What do you guys do?

Packrat

Passed Away Jun 3, 2020
In Memoriam
Try using a 7mm-08 shell it works fine
Originally posted by Packrat
<br />
Originally posted by micah
<br />I was about to put together some 30.06 casings tonight when I realized that the tubes for a slimline arn't long enough for a 30.06 casing. O.K. What do you guys do?

bob winegar

Actually, a "slimline" pen with a tube shorter than the lower barrel works jusr fine as long as the nib end of the tube is flush. I do it all the time with good results. The upper barrel must be flush at both ends, though.

Bob

C. Scott

Micah,

What Bob said. Just make sure the nib end is flush and you won't have any problems. I use the Monty method. I drill out my shells at 5/16" and press in a 5/16" OD brass tube (flush on neck and head)and then I glue my 7mm tube inside that. I use a scrap piece of tube as a "back up" when I press in the nib, however, a solid 7mm rod would be best, DAMHIKT. [;)]

Rmartin

I just got a 30.06 back from engraving by Ken. Man, it looks nice! May have to post a pictutre of it. I use a 5/16 tube and glue a 7mm inside.

Rmartin

tntwoodcrafts

If I may add my 2 cents as a newbie to this forum. I have not tried the 30-06 but use the .308 shells and a slimline kit. I use the sizing bushing for a designer pen and cut the tenon as if I was making a designer pen. To prepare the cartridge, I turn the rim off so that it fits up inside the CB. The pictures don't show this very well. The 7mm tubes are a minutely too long but can be ground down with little effort on a sander. To take up the slack in the nib, I use a 1/4" piece of 1/4" shrink tube. These can be obtained from most automotive outlets. It makes for a nice snug fit!! That's it. Thank you
227972205.jpg

251137934.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom