30.06 Dipper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry for the double post :redface:( Casing pen contest and here ) but I'm quite happy with the way this one turned out, so figured I'd show it off here too.:biggrin:

Casing pen and ink well with clear resin. Not sure why it has the weird reflection in the ink well:confused:
Hope you like it too:biggrin:

Attachments

• Dipper5.jpg
    Dipper5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Skippy, that is a great pen, I wonder if there are calligraphy aficionados that are also shooters?

There must be, but most calligraphers appear to be women, although that wouldn't rule them out from being shooters.

Is that a solid clear acrylic and did you cast it yourself?

Jgrden

Skip Rat. I have some dumb questions. Is this a pen in which you dip into the ink well for a load and then write 'till it's gone. Nothing stored in a tank in the clear body of the pen? I guess the short and simple is: how does it work?? I love it. It is beautiful.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skip Rat. I have some dumb questions. Is this a pen in which you dip into the ink well for a load and then write 'till it's gone. Nothing stored in a tank in the clear body of the pen? I guess the short and simple is: how does it work?? I love it. It is beautiful.

John, I've never actually used one of these but from what I've read, yes you simply dip it in ink. This type of dipper has a reservoir (sort of ) I believe a small amount of ink gets stored between the steel nib and the brass piece on top of it. I don't know the proper name for it. Apparently you can get one or two words from each dip. The nibs without this piece hold less ink.
From what I've read up, while you have to keep 'dipping' and it takes some practice to use, it does have an advantage over a calligraphy fountain pen in that you can use waterproof inks like Indian Ink. Of course you just need a quick rinse and you can use a different colour too.

Unlike my stubby one, most of the ones I've seen are very long and thin. I guess this is so the person using it can make light quick 'sweeping' strokes.
:biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Beautiful pen and well Skip. I think this one is one of the most unique ideas yet.

There must be, but most calligraphers appear to be women, although that wouldn't rule them out from being shooters.
Having done a lot of shooting, I can tell you that there are a lot of women shooters(my wife for one) and they are normally a better natural shooter than a man. I did learn the hard way why I shouldn't have taught my ex-wife how to use a pistol. She wasn't that great of a shot luckily.

akbar24601

Wouldn't expect any less from you Steven! Superb!!! Somehow, everything that falls in to your hands you make very classy. Great job!

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is nice and I have run out of superlatives to describe you work. Is it OK that I start describing everything in Japanese? Mattaku Sugoi Yo! :wink:

titan2

Sorry for the double post :redface:( Casing pen contest and here ) but I'm quite happy with the way this one turned out, so figured I'd show it off here too.:biggrin:

Casing pen and ink well with clear resin. Not sure why it has the weird reflection in the ink well:confused:
Hope you like it too:biggrin:

Did you cast the brass in the resin and then turn it down or did you glue your cast in to each end of the brass?

TIA

Barney

Top Bottom