3 More Feather Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

I cast 3 more feather pens today. Getting a little better with each one, well except for maybe the last (right) one. Was gettin creative on that one and I'm not sure if I like the results, it's suppose to resemble a Black Ghost Streamer like the one picture below.

Left is Grizzly, middle is Barred Ginger, and the right is black hackle (kinda hard to tell they are feathers in the pic) wrapped with gold foil, and 2 yellow and 2 white feathers. I think if I try a Black Ghost again I will wrap the foil over the white and yellow feathers too to help hold them in place better.

IMG_0440.jpg

Ignore the quality of the fly, I tied it more than 20 years ago when I was just learning to tie flies and held on to it.

21495236.jpg

Thanks for looking ...

Comments/Critiques always welcome,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

I actually love the one on the right. How in the world did you do the gold? I know nothing about flies- are these something you can buy like the picture you have, so that those of us who don't "tie flies" could cast one?

Brewmeister35

All of your feather pens are awesome! The one from your other post and the 2 on the left in my opinion are great and have a very neat look to them but you can't quite tell they are feathers. The one on the right here, while it may not resemble the black ghost like you were shooting for, it is crystal clear that it is feathers and it is really quite stunning. I'm dieing to try something like this and I'm curious if something like 3m's 45 or super 77 spray adhesives would work for holding the feathers in place. That part looks like it would be tough. Seriously though, they are a nice change from the norm. A bit of eye-candy. Great job! [;)]

Radman

Actually Shane, the far right pen is my favorite by a longshot. I think it's terrific. For those of us that don't know squat about tying flys or fly casting (the fishing kind), I find #3 to be most appealing. If you hate it that much, send me a PM and I'll get my address to you.[:D]
[8D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Shane, I saw your previous ones too. All of them are simply superb and the one on the right is just stunning. I'd buy that any day.[:D]

Shane

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, I appreciate them [:D]

Seems like the right one is pretty much everyones favorite. I am very pleased at how well you can see the feathers and the colors are much brighter than I thought they would be. The reason I am not real happy with it is because of the way the yellow and white feathers lay and the casting. I used thin CA to hold the feathers in place and didn't get them very straight, they where pretty beat up from sitting in my fly tying gear for to many years. You can also see the CA glue through the casting which also trapped a few tiny bubbles. Some spray addhesives like Brewmeister suggested may work better. I had a brain storm last night and come up with a few other ways to do it. I will try it out this week and post my results.

Angboy the gold is just a gold foil thread that ya can buy at the fly shop. I picked some more up today along with some beautiful feathers, spent way to much money on them, good thing SWMBO and my daughter was in the pet shop lookin at kittys instead of with me. [;)]

Thanks again for the comments...

Happy Turning,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom