3 colors again. Thoughts????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

538577_410140845712653_1359745406_n.jpg

226163_410140879045983_1438305575_n.jpg

305156_410140902379314_1600200138_n.jpg

Here it is. I worked with heavily modified interference colors and decided to try a little something different with the pouring process. I essentially dumped 1/6 of the blank into the mold at a time, swapping colors out trying to get a somewhat stacked effect on the colors. This is what I got instead. I'm pretty happy with the results, I'm trying the same process out with some high-contrast colors to see how everything settles out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
First...not a big fan of the colors...but so what. Second...I think you hit it right on the head. Starting to get a good mix and interesting patterns. Well done Allan!!

Justturnin

Looks good. Looks like you are pouring straight and maybe to fast. Slow your pour and try to zigzag and move around so the resin is not in straight lines.

KenV

Alan, the orange would have to grow on me, but that aside you got a good effect, and the larger pen works well.

You should be feeling pleased. Successful attempt.

Drstrangefart

Alan, the orange would have to grow on me, but that aside you got a good effect, and the larger pen works well.

I was gunning for a better distribution of the orange, and kinda expected it to be a lot more translucent.

KenV

I was gunning for a better distribution of the orange, and kinda expected it to be a lot more translucent.

Perhaps just a bit more gelled before pouring. The orange appears to be "transient" with the other two colors

Kretzky

Not keen on those particular colours, but I know it was more an experiment in mixing. For me it looks like the orange sort of stayed mostly on top with only a small amount getting to the bottom. (I know... it may have been the other way around) but I'm describing it from looking at the pen. I looks OK to me BUT I don't know if you were looking to achieve a better "mixing" of the two colours. I really like your pearlescent sparkle effects you're getting... keep up the good work.
Hope that helps
David

Drstrangefart

Perhaps just a bit more gelled before pouring. The orange appears to be "transient" with the other two colors

Yeah, that's next on the block. I let it gel up to just short of getting those thick globs in it. I think the orange probably just set up a lot faster as it probably absorbed a LOT more heat from the mold causing it to set before it drifted very far.

Drstrangefart

Not keen on those particular colours, but I know it was more an experiment in mixing. For me it looks like the orange sort of stayed mostly on top with only a small amount getting to the bottom. (I know... it may have been the other way around) but I'm describing it from looking at the pen. I looks OK to me BUT I don't know if you were looking to achieve a better "mixing" of the two colours. I really like your pearlescent sparkle effects you're getting... keep up the good work.
Hope that helps
David

The orange indeed didn't perform as expected, that's for sure. The pearl sparkle is a pretty simple trick, and it's very repeatable. I'm happy with how it's turning out and the positive feedback helps, too.

Drstrangefart

Looks like clown puke. :wink: I think your headed in the right direction. I hope your keeping a log book.

Not so much a log book, but simple and repeatable sets of steps to get the colors I want. I will probably be writing stuff down once it gets a little more complicated. Right now this is still a very simple process.

Bowl Slinger

Experiments are the building blocks of perfection. Anyone can buy a machine made blank that is perfect but not everyone can pour their own 3 color blank. You did a great job Allan. Keep it up, I enjoy seeing your progress.

Top Bottom