3-Color Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

any suggestions for technique to get a good mix? I want to try red/white/blue. the last set did not work for other reasons, but the colors weren't mixed as well as I would have liked

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

PR. I didn't know it made a difference.

more specifically these guys

Polyester Resins

which also brings up a question... how to pour semi-neatly from that can? I was seriously considering trying to find a spout I could punch into the top of it.

Brooks803

Oh yea there's a difference. With PR you can wait till the last sec to pour. No way can you do that with Alumilite.

If you want the colors to swirl and stay separate you'll want all 3 colors to gel at the same time. Think karo syrup consistency.

capcrnch

which also brings up a question... how to pour semi-neatly from that can? I was seriously considering trying to find a spout I could punch into the top of it.

I just happened to ask this question the other day in the facebook group.
One of the guys had a great idea of using a spout like you'd find on the old metal gas cans. Same size mouth, much easier to deal with!

ttpenman

If you're going to pour into a PVC tube, how about making a small funnel out of paper and using that when you pour the 3 colors. At least you won't spill any. SHould be a little easier.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

ericofpendom

I pour the mixed resin into the tubes and they have nozzles on that the metal rods block until you lift them, this is so you can move to the next mould without dripping all over the place. When I have finished the pour I remove the metal rods and stand the tubes on grease-proof paper upside down so the residue drains out. I leave the tubes in my warming cupboard to cure any resin that is left and after about 5 sessions I crack the waste of the inside of the tubes, it comes off easier when thick, much like it is easier to strip paint from woodwork when it is thicker. I will try and do a video of my next pour and post it on youtube.

Hope this helps

Eric...

BSea

As far as pouring the PR from the can, it is easier if you pour it with the side of the can toward you, and the hole closest to you. This way, you can easily put the cup under the hole in the top of the can. It's kind of hard to describe. Maybe I'll set up my camera, and do a youtube video.

And mixing is more experience than anything else. Do it enough, and you'll find your own way of pouring. It's kind of like doing a CA finish. Everybody has their own way.

Top Bottom