3/8" to V

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

Are there any tips or tricks to getting a 3/8" tube to fit on a V kit?

The circuit board blanks are 3/8" and will not fit the bushings for the V kit. We tried boring the tube with a V size reamer but the tube heated up and came out then the blank cracked.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Gee ! . I would never expect that to happen because you are reaming so little material off, like a hair's thickness (0.002" or less)

Were you turning the reamer by hand or by machine ?

I always ream by hand, but forgot to mention that in previous discussion.

EDIT: . Just occurred to me to say that the V-size applies to the fitting of the outside of the tube to the blank; not to fitting the bushings to the inside of the tube.
If you do a V-size ream on the inside of the tube that is way too big, sorry to say; and you will remove, perhaps, all of the brass tube

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/BrianLey.shtml

Last edited:

jennera

Gee ! . I would never expect that to happen because you are reaming so little material off, like a hair's thickness (0.002" or less)

Were you turning the reamer by hand or by machine ?

I always ream by hand, but forgot to mention that in previous discussion.

EDIT: . Just occurred to me to say that the V-size applies to the fitting of the outside of the tube to the blank; not to fitting the bushings to the inside of the tube.
If you do a V-size ream on the inside of the tube that is way too big, sorry to say; and you will remove, perhaps, all of the brass tube

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/BrianLey.shtml

Yes that's what happened; the tubes came out. I'm trying your advice with a dowel and sandpaper now. I am surprised the bushings are so large so I'm also checking measurements on them in case I ordered the wrong ones. The label on the bag was correct but they are are too large for the 3/8' tube. I checked the measurement on the tube and it is a 3/8".

Jennifer

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
MAKE BUSHINGS THAT FIT!!!!!

Use corian or a resin blank and glue a 7mm tube in it, then turn to fit the inside diameter of your tube. Simple and ACCURATE!!

Here's the vid, that shows how, but I am not sure this answers your real question --regarding using the circuit board blank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNBgzhl_pM

Last edited:

jennera

Use corian or a resin blank and glue a 7mm tube in it, then turn to fit the inside diameter of your tube. Simple and ACCURATE!!

Here's the vid, that shows how, but I am not sure this answers your real question --regarding using the circuit board blank.

Ed, I ordered the 35A bushings that go with the kit and the bushings we received are labeled 35A. I checked the measurements on the IAP bushing tube chart which says the inside part of the tube should be .345" (E & K) but when I measure it, it reads .35". The other measurements appear to be a bit off also.

Do you think I should order and try another set of bushings? Would that small of a difference cause the issue?

I did question the goblin to make sure she didn't mix her bushings up out in the garage. I haven't inspected her work area myself (yet) but she claims she has no other bushings that are black like these.

Thanks!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Ed, I ordered the 35A bushings that go with the kit and the bushings we received are labeled 35A. I checked the measurements on the IAP bushing tube chart which says the inside part of the tube should be .345" (E & K) but when I measure it, it reads .35". The other measurements appear to be a bit off also.

Do you think I should order and try another set of bushings? Would that small of a difference cause the issue?

I did question the goblin to make sure she didn't mix her bushings up out in the garage. I haven't inspected her work area myself (yet) but she claims she has no other bushings that are black like these.

Thanks!

It does sound like a possible bushing mixup somewhere - what do you measure on the other end of that bushing?

One of the Breast Cancer Awareness bushings is .350/.366 but neither end goes into a tube. Both ends of that one butt up against a 7mm tube. There are also other .350 bushings that aren't intended to fit into a tube as well.

Top Bottom