2024 FOG Contest Poll - Part 1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vote for your four top choices to move on.

• 1. Sunken Old Growth Fir

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2. Gatsby with Segmented Black Walnut

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • 3. Pine Root Ball

Votes: 49 70.0%
  • 4. Brecciated Jasper EDC

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • 5. Brown and Sticky

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • 6. A Red Oak Knot

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • 7. Smokebush

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • 8. Burn Pile Rescue

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

This is the first of two polls in the first round of voting for the best FOG pen of the 2024 Birthday Bash. At the conclusion of the two polls the top four from each poll will be entered in a final poll. You can vote for 4 pens. In the case of a tie for the fourth place, both will be entered into the final poll.

Title:
Sunken Old Growth Fir
Description: This is my entry into this years FOG Category. For this pen I used the Artisan Executive Fountain Pen Kit. The pen blank used was found on the shores of a Lake that fluctuates in level throughout the year. The blank is Old Growth Douglas Fir, cut from a small root. The colour comes from laying on the bottom and over the years has picked up minerals and tannins from the water and soil giving the wood grey and olive hues.
IMG_9929.jpeg IMG_9928.jpeg IMG_9927.jpeg

Title: Gatsby with Segmented Black Walnut
Description: Hello all! My entry is a chrome Gatsby dressed in black walnut, black micarta, and aluminum with a CA finish. Void on the side filled with drilling shavings and CA.

I was given some black walnut by a family friend. This piece was too short even for a Gatsby, but that gave me a good excuse to add a little segmenting.

I made the micarta from the nylon strap of a bag that had been thrown-away.

The aluminum is from a can picked up at the local park.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
IMG_9023-2.jpg IMG_9035-2.jpg IMG_9055-2.jpg

Title of Your Entry: Pine Root Ball
Description: Gold Sedona made from a small pine root ball.
CA finish. The darker color of the pen is natural.
This is what is left that the bugs hadn't eaten.
PXL_20240210_201050939~2.jpg PXL_20240213_011600121~2.jpg PXL_20240213_011550017~2.jpg

Title of Your Entry: Brecciated Jasper EDC
Description: I found a truly nondescript rock while exploring the desert not far from home. Although it looked just dirt covered like every other rock in the outcrop along the trail, there was a chip on the corner that hinted at something worthy. On a whim I took it home and cut a slab. What was inside was a real surprise - a nice piece of Brecciated Jasper. I made a blank and selected the Rollester kit. I used my DIY lapidary lathe to make the pen. It's been a primary EDC for a couple years now.
IMG_6214.jpeg IMG_6215.jpeg IMG_6216.jpeg

Title of Your Entry: Brown and sticky.
Description: This is a natural stick that I drilled out, stripped of bark, and polished. It is truly FOG since I do not know the species. To drill out for the bic pen invert and prevent drilling through the side, I held the wood in one hand and drilled with the other, drilled a few millimeters then let the blank spin to check that the drill bit was running straight. There is a breathing hole cleverly hidden in the side of the wood, so the ink doesn't sneak out the top end.
Pog pen 2.jpeg IMG_3625.jpeg

Title of Your Entry: A Red Oak Knot
Description: This pen's life story began a couple years back. While walking through the woods I came upon a partially fallen Red Oak tree. I noticed a knot on one part which I removed a few days later with a bow saw. It was placed in my out building to dry and forgotten about until I seen this year's contest. The entire pen was sealed and finished with Gluboost CA. The pen is dressed on a Black Titanium Jr. Gent rollerball. The stock chrome finial and center band ring were swapped with gold.
Oak 2 resized.jpg Oak 3 resized.jpg Oak 1 resized.jpg

Title: Smokebush
Description: Body mainly Smokebush, Ash (accent ring) from neighbour's garden, end caps from discarded table leg (Oak)
IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0327.JPG

Title: Burn Pile Rescue
Description: This is a Sumac branch that I rescued from my neighbors burn pile. Blade component set from Berra was selected to maximize the blank length. The pith of the branch was very punky so I ripped the branch down the center and used the edge. Finished with 8 coats of Craft Coat to get the natural wood grain feel. Sanded with "00" pads between first few layers, and then "0000" pad for remainder.
20240211_094011.jpg 20240211_094054.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

I just tried and I get an error message when I click on them.

1707858860396.png

rixstix

Hey, stuff happens. I bet no one is gonna lose sleep over it.

Sorta like the 500 keystroke limit for the description that is undisclosed until you click the button, then have to wait 3 full minutes before a change can be made and hope you got it less than 500 keystrokes or have the 3 minute clock reset again.

Top Bottom