2016 Summer Extravaganza Pretty Wood Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

[SIZE=+3]2016 Summer Extravaganza Pretty Wood Pen Contest[/SIZE]
In Remembrance of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman)

Sometimes in making pens, we get wrapped up trying the newest techniques, exploring fancy (and even a little gaudy) pen kits, chasing the next greatest manmade blank medium, or losing ourselves inventing new styles or looks. Those are great pursuits, and they help advance our craft. There are times, though, where getting back to basics is refreshing, relaxing, and rewarding. That's the purpose of this contest: [highlight]Make a Pretty Wood Pen[/highlight]

[highlight][SIZE=+1]What is a Pretty Wood Pen?[/SIZE][/highlight] We may have differing opinions of what makes a wood pen pretty, but we probably can agree that a Pretty Wood Pen comprises an elegant piece of timber, complementary hardware (kit, if you prefer), subtle shape and masterful fit, and an impeccable finish.

[highlight][SIZE=+1]Need Inspiration?[/SIZE][/highlight] Lou Metcalf ([profile=DCBluesman]DCBluesman[/profile]), who recently passed away, likely coined the "pretty wood pen" description that accompanied his posts.

[highlight][thread=68221]This Pink Ivory pretty wood pen[/thread][/highlight] should inspire you.

[highlight][thread=63828]Maybe this Snakewood pretty wood pen[/thread][/highlight] catches your fancy.

[highlight][thread=63889]Single barrel pens can be pretty wood pens[/thread][/highlight]

[highlight][SIZE=+1]The Rules[/SIZE][/highlight]

In addition to the [highlight][thread=133052]Universal Contest Rules[/thread][/highlight], the following rules apply:

[SIZE=+1]Blank Material[/SIZE]

• Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.
  • No embellishments to the blank are allowed. This means, for example, no inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, burning, engraving, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.
  • Stabilized wood is allowed.
  • Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.
[SIZE=+1]Pen kit/component hardware[/SIZE]

• Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.
  • No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.
  • Kitless pens are not allowed.
[SIZE=+1]Photographs[/SIZE]

• Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen.
  • You may submit a third photograph showing your pretty wood pen in any orientation of your choosing.
  • Consider a photograph size of 800 x 600 as ideal. The contest chair reserves the right to resize photographs or slightly crop them to achieve a consistent image size.
  • You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.
  • You may use a small off-cut of your pretty wood blank as a prop.
  • No other props are allowed.
  • Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.
  • No montages, watermarks, or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.
[highlight]Submit your entry by email to: prettywoodpen@earthlink.net and include the following with your entry:[/highlight]

• Name, Username, email address,
  • a statement that describes the pretty wood you chose to use for your pen, and
  • attach the two pictures required, plus the optional third picture of your choosing.
Do not post your entry in this thread

One entry per person

Please send a private message to [highlight][profile=Brian G]Brian G[/profile][/highlight] after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

[highlight]The Pretty Wood Contest begins August 1, 2016, and ends August 21, 2016, at midnight CST.[/highlight]

Prizes will be announced at a later date.

Please post questions in this thread, by private message to [highlight][profile=Brian G]Brian G[/profile][/highlight], or by email to prettywoodpen@earthlink.net. I appreciate your patience as you wait for a response. I have limited forum access during business hours.

Get busy, good luck, and let us see your Pretty Wood Pen.

Prizes

First Place - A $50 Gift Certificate from Robutacion + a Pretty Wood Pen made by Lou Metcalf
Second Place - A $25 Gift Certificate from an Anonymous member
Third Place - A BOB from member stonepecker

In addition, participants that do not finish in the top three will be entered for a random draw of a SFRB of an assortment of some pretty wood pen blanks (and maybe some non-wood pretty pen blanks)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Let's get this party started!

One entry is in already. :eek: There should be a prize for that.

I'm looking forward to more pretty wood pen entries. Keep them coming.

Brian G

At the rate entries are coming in, I'm going to need another hard drive to store the photos!

Keep up the great work.

jttheclockman

This should be an intriguing contests because we are such a diverse group of pen turners here from all over the world and there are tons of interesting woods that we never get to see. Hopefully some of the woods from around the world get put on display here in this contest. I look forward to watching this one. :bulgy-eyes:

twinsen

I am interested to see what penturners come up to make sure theirs look the best. We will probably see a lot of high end woods with wonderful grain patterns and expensive kits. At least, that is what I am hoping for.

Brian G

I look forward to watching this one. :bulgy-eyes:

Watch? WATCH? John, c'mon. . . what better time than now to hone the skew and give it a whirl. I know you started cleaning and organizing your shop. There had to be at least one pretty wood blank in there somewhere. :)

Greg, I know that some chucklehead used an inexpensive component set and a chunk of gnarly looking wood rescued from a ditch to make this pretty wood pen, which placed 2nd in the 2015 Kit Pen Contest.

BGKit2.jpg

I'm biased, though. :wink:

jttheclockman

I look forward to watching this one. :bulgy-eyes:

Watch? WATCH? John, c'mon. . . what better time than now to hone the skew and give it a whirl. I know you started cleaning and organizing your shop. There had to be at least one pretty wood blank in there somewhere. :)

Greg, I know that some chucklehead used an inexpensive component set and a chunk of gnarly looking wood rescued from a ditch to make this pretty wood pen, which placed 2nd in the 2015 Kit Pen Contest.

View attachment 152246

I'm biased, though. :wink:

Brian, to be honest I hope to be playing in these games come Feb. Have way too much to do than make pens right now. My shop has the big toys geared up. Just got back from the lumber yard today so it is time to see what these toys have left in them. Have craft shows coming in November and December. I will let others have some fun but will be watching as always.

Brian G

Alright, then. I'll reserve a space for you in February, assuming this contest is successful.

Mark, I think I saw one on your livingroom floor. It's the red-colored one next to the pile of brownish ones.

twinsen

Alright, then. I'll reserve a space for you in February, assuming this contest is successful.

Mark, I think I saw one on your livingroom floor. It's the red-colored one next to the pile of brownish ones.

This contest is WAAAAAY over due. So many contests are won by people who put the extra work into jazzing up their blank (I am one of them) that it is really hard for people that enjoy the simple beauty of a fine piece of turned wood to win.

If it's not successful, my guess is it will be because the general masses didn't know about it until the contest had already started.

Brian G

The contest announcement and rules were first posted on July 11 (here) along with the other contests.

The entries I've received so far in just the first week gives me evidence to conclude that it's successful and worthy of considering for a 2017 BASH contest.

You're right; we needed a contest that doesn't require (or permit) the fancier stuff to make the top three.

twinsen

The contest announcement and rules were first posted on July 11 (here) along with the other contests.

The entries I've received so far in just the first week gives me evidence to conclude that it's successful and worthy of considering for a 2017 BASH contest.

You're right; we needed a contest that doesn't require (or permit) the fancier stuff to make the top three.

Maybe make a pretty Acrylic/Alumilite etc. non-segmented pen contest too.

SteveJ

What is "pretty wood"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I be holding a beautiful wood pen right now!

Let's see if your pretty wood is prettier than my pretty wood. Enter soon!

Brian G

ONE WEEK REMAINING!!

If you haven't started your pretty wood pen, you have one week to get it done.

Stay tuned for an exciting prize update to be announced later today.

Brian G

BREAKING NEWS: PRIZE UPDATE

This is exciting! In addition to the $50 Gift Certificate from Robutacion, the first prize winner will also win a GENUINE PRETTY WOOD PEN made by Lou Metcalf :eek::eek::eek:

That's right! Through an anonymous and generous donation, one of Lou's pretty wood pens has been donated as a prize. That should add incentive to enter the Pretty Wood Pen Contest.

BUT WAIT. . . . THERE'S MORE!

All entrants that do not finish in the top three are automatically entered into a random drawing for a SFRB of an assortment of pretty wood pen blanks, and maybe some pretty other material blanks, from my hoard.

Make your next pen a Pretty Wood Pen, and you'll have a chance to win a great pretty wood pen or more pretty wood blanks.

Brian G

That's true, and there are just a few days left.

I don't even know what the pen by Lou looks like, and I can't enter to win. :frown:

Brian G

A little less than 10 hours remaining

Thought I'd check in while I'm watching paint dry. Literally!

We picked up a few more entries in the last 12 hours. I'm glad I don't have to choose the winner. :eek:

Top Bottom