2014 Day 1, Metal Lathe essential mods !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well 2014 is well underway and they say you should start as you mean to finish....so here are two mods that I did today that I've wanted to do for yonks, and it's only 4.30pm !!. :eek::biggrin:

The pics show my solution to a common problem with a metal lathe tailstock. The clamping spanner often clashes with the carriage or topslide.
Many people make a complex cam lever arrangement, but I like this simpler solution. I do have a mill, but only used my drill press and lathe to do the mods.

Almost as essential was insulating my garage door with polystyrene. Wow !! What a difference!! Goodbye eyeball drying electric heater!!:biggrin:

Hopefully someone can get some use from this.
Pics are self explanitory, but shout if you want more info.

Cheers :wink:

Attachments

• Tailstock Mod 2.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 2.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Tailstock Mod 3.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 3.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Tailstock Mod 4.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 4.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 518
  • Tailstock Mod 5.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 5.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 405
  • Tailstock Mod 1.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 1.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 675
  • Tailstock Mod 9.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 9.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Tailstock Mod 10.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 10.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 399
  • Tailstock Mod 8.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 8.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Tailstock Mod 7.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 7.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 397
  • Tailstock Mod 6.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 6.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 393
  • Tailstock Mod 11.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 11.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 401
  • Tailstock Mod 12.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 12.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Tailstock Mod 13.JPG
    Tailstock Mod 13.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 382
  • No more heater.JPG
    No more heater.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Nice work Steven. Looks like you have put a lot of shop in the available space! Is "yonks" really a word? :biggrin:

Happy New Year!
Harry

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just one of the reasons I went back to the 7x16. On the 9x20 I had to use an open end wrench to tighten the hold down. Knuckle buster! I saw a tutorial on modifying it with a lever but, decided to sell it instead. This is a very cool fix Steve. Without a current need for it, I'm more interested in insulating my garage door. Did you need to leave slack in the tape on the seams? Got some close up views of the door panels? I'm freezing my arse off here :biggrin: Thanks for the photos.

SteveG

Hey Steven, that is a nice tip...kind of like needing a back scratcher for years, and finally getting one! :):biggrin:

Could we get a shot with the car IN the garage?:eek:

08K.80

Hey Steven, that is a nice tip...kind of like needing a back scratcher for years, and finally getting one! :):biggrin:

His ride is in front of the door. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
.... I'm more interested in insulating my garage door. Did you need to leave slack in the tape on the seams? Got some close up views of the door panels? I'm freezing my arse off here :biggrin: ....

Chuck, the stuff I used is 25mm thick and came in sheets of 1200mm x 450mm. This grey stuff just seemed a little sturdier than the typical white version. I actually went to get the white, but they only had grey. Never seen it before. The tape I bought doesn't seem to stick great to it. I have several brands of tape and most didn't stick for long. I since wiped the tape areas with degreaser and the tape sticks better. Best £30 I have spent in my little garage.:wink:

Steve, although I don't have the car anymore, I did actually have one in there at the same time !! :eek: :biggrin: The big 8 x 4 table actually folds flat against the wall.
I'm going to do a complete make over in the spring. :biggrin:

Cheers

Attachments

• Garage door insulation.JPG
    Garage door insulation.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,760
  • Marlin in garage.jpg
    Marlin in garage.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 304

jimjam66

Neat fix, Steven. I got the Warco Super Mini lathe that has the cam lock fitted ex-factory, but if truth be told it doesn't work that well so this could be useful. Does cutting the slot in the tailstock webbing not weaken it?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave, technically I suppose it does weaken it a bit, but it's a hefty chunk of cast iron and I don't use the tailstock as a 2 ton arbor press. Well, not often anyway..:biggrin: I have the Warco WM 14 VS mill. Love it, even though it, like my lathe are probably all from the same Chinese factory.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Harley2001

Hay Steven thanks for sharing I have been wanting to do that it I a pain in the you know want so thanks I start on that next.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steve, although I don't have the car anymore, I did actually have one in there at the same time !! :eek: :biggrin:

TC or TD?

John, I wish !! :rolleyes: If it was either an MG TC or TD then I would have kept it.
It was a Marlin Roadster kit car. It was my solution to man-o-pause !!:biggrin:
Loads of fun around the winding Welsh mountain roads but not so good in the Welsh mountain weather!!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Marlin1.JPG
    Marlin1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 592

workinforwood

Sweet ride mate! Still working on mine, only needs to go back to the paintshop one more time, hopefully this spring. Love the mod on the tailstock,I often find myself fussing with my nuts too :wink:. I bought my overhead doors insulated but even then the insulation is a joke. I bought aluminum foil coated styrofoam sheets 1" (2.5 cm for you brits :confused:) and cut the sheets an inch longer than the panels measure on the up down direction. I found that you can push the styrofoam down into the door then can push it up under the top lip and it will fit tight, the top and bottom lips holding it in place with no tape because the top lip is tighter than the bottom lip. I also screwed some blocks above the doors so i can clamp the doors tight against the walls. Every little thing is a big deal in a winter like this one. It was -15 when i got home this morning from work. I recommend the rubber strip that goes on the cement under your door too. It seals the bottom better, and keeps rain and mice from getting under the door or chewing up that junky lower door seal.

Top Bottom