2013 Color Casting Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Color Casting Contest

Pretty self explanitory. Each contestant will have to cast a blank using pigments of any kind.

The Color Casting Contest will begin Feb. 01, 2013 and will end Feb. 17th, 2013 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. NO EXCEPTIONS!​

How to Enter:

You must use the entry form provided when submitting your pen. Any pen posted to this thread or anyone revealing their work will be disqualified.​

Who Determines the Winners?:

I will create a public poll for your peers to vote on. Voting will begin on Feb. 18th until Feb. 23rd. The top 3 vote recipients will then be entered in the finalists poll which will begin Feb. 24th through Feb. 27th. The winners will be revealed Feb. 28th.​

I will also reveal ALL entries in a seperate thread. This way we can all find out who made what.​

Rules for the Color Casting Contest:

1 - Each blank must use 3 and only 3 distinct colors. This will make the judging easier. We will be looking for good color seperation, flow of colors, and the overall aesthetics of the pen. The pen must be made entirely of pigmented resin.

2 - Do remember that this is a PEN turning forum. Each submission must be made into a pen! All submissions must be a component pen (kit). There are no restrictions on type or style as long as it is a component pen. We hope to see Rollerballs, Fountain pens, and other "Prestigious" component sets. We want to see your best casts shine! Component-less pens or kit modifications will not be eligible.​

3 - To enter the contest you must use the entry form given. Remember that you will be judged based on your photographs submitted. Limit of 2 photographs. Please keep your photos clean of objects that could distract from your pens beauty.​

4 - Any pen shown publicly (Not just on IAP) prior to Feb. 01, 2013 will be ineligible. Also any entry shown publicly during the bash on ANY public site will be disqualified. Do NOT post your pen in the thread!​

5 - Pens made with the aid of lasers or CNC machines will be ineligible. We want to see unique & creative pens made by YOU!​

6 - The pen AND blank must be made ONLY by the person submitting the entry.​

7 - To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivilant). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to sucessfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not elegible to participate in any IAP activities.

Prizes

First: CrownTools Cryogenic pen turning set $110.00
Second: CSUSA- Easy Pen Turn tool (104-526) $89.00
Third: Rherrell Toolpost w 2 tool rests $50.00

If there are any questions or concerns about your entry please contact me via PM. I will do my best to sort everything out.​

Last edited by a moderator:

SDB777

Was trying to enter the contest, but for some reason I can not get the photo's to size of 256k....with a photo coming out of my Sony DSLR the smallest I get get in the 800x680 size is 3.8m(or I can resize it to a thumbnail 80x80 to get under the requirement-but if I do you can't see it)

Any ideas?

Scott (got the winner but I'm stuck) B

Brooks803

I have a sony dslr myself. When I was testing out the entry forms I had to resize my images to around 650x500 on my windows photo editor. That got it down to 246k. You might have to play around with an editor or photo shrink software.

Can't wait for the 1st entry to come in!

Sylvanite

When we talk about the size of a photograph, we actually mean two different things:
  1. The dimensions of the image. That is, how many pixels high and wide it is, and
  2. The filesize. That is, how much storage space does it occupy (and how much time will it take to transmit over the internet).
You are trying to address the second item by adjusting the first. As you've discovered, that doesn't work well.

If you have Photoshop Elements, or an equvalent photo editor (such as the GIMP, which is free), check out http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/photoshop-tip-1-saving-images-web-76746/. It shows you how to change both the resolution and filesize of an image saved for the web.

I hope that helps,
Eric

philb

If using photoshop, after selecting your Save As file name there is a selection slider. It varies from 1-12 and allows you to determine the size of the file through the quality of the image but keeping the size (pixels) the same

SDB777

Try fotosizer to reduce the image size and the file size. The form limit matches IAP's photo limits by the way. How are you uploading photos to IAP?

I use Flickr mostly. The fotosizer worked the last time I tried it, but the photo came out looking awful-it was all blocky and pixelated.

I'll contunie trying.....

Scott (I'd hate to not be able to play) B

Brooks803

Entry #1

Here is our First entry!

A little description from the maker:

Silmar 41 colored with Keel Blue, Teal Green, and Titanium White
pigments

AbacoStorm1_zps8a616070.jpg

AbacoStorm2_zpse9cd5be4.jpg

Brooks803

Entry #2

Here is a little description from the maker:

Silmar 41 with Titanium White, Black Mica, Cellini Red Mica mixed with a little Pearl White Mica

Casting_4_zps3170a303.jpg

Casting_5_zps520912f4.jpg

crokett

Okey-doke. Will have to see how the ones I poured last night came out. I don't have 3 hands to pour 3 cups at once so not sure the mix will be what I am expecting. :wink:

SDB777

Only three entries so far? With all the people here that cast, I'd think that ther would be 75 by now(or are ya'll holding back to see what gets put up before you enter-that's sneaky)....

Shameless bump for more entries!

Scott (still working the sizing problem) B

I wonder if Jonathan would recognize the blanks he left at my house if i turned them and entered them...no way he can remember EVERY blank he made.

alankulwicki7

Only three entries so far? With all the people here that cast, I'd think that ther would be 75 by now(or are ya'll holding back to see what gets put up before you enter-that's sneaky)....

I'm hoping to get something done in the next few days. It all depends on how my castings come out!

RSidetrack

Shameless bump for more entries!

Scott (still working the sizing problem) B

If people are having the same problem I am I cannot get a warm enough environment to get casting done. I used to cast in my basement but have since given up due to my wife yelling at me for the smell :rolleyes: Garage has been tough to get warm enough, but I am hoping I can get something in before the deadline. Supposed to be in the 50s over the next couple days, I may have a chance!:biggrin:

SDB777

The wife and I use a MrHeat single head burner on a 20lb propane bottle. Even at 25-35*F we can get it warm in about half an hour. And at the two hour point I am thinking about casting nekkid....maybe not the best mind photo you are about to try to get rid of?
It is just a single car garage with no insulation. Problem here is summer temps being way too hot!

Good luck, hope to see ya get one done!

Scott (more bumpage for folks) B

RSidetrack

The wife and I use a MrHeat single head burner on a 20lb propane bottle. Even at 25-35*F we can get it warm in about half an hour. And at the two hour point I am thinking about casting nekkid....maybe not the best mind photo you are about to try to get rid of?
It is just a single car garage with no insulation. Problem here is summer temps being way too hot!

Good luck, hope to see ya get one done!

Scott (more bumpage for folks) B
Mine is single car, insulated walls but not ceiling (go figure that is where the heat goes :rolleyes:). I don't have a Mr. Heater, but I have a propane jet heater which can get the garage from 20 to 80 degrees in about 15 minutes. Issue is no way I will cast with it on for fear of exothermic reaction :eek:, so by the time I pour my resin, get things mixed up, wait for them to set up and then cast the garage is back down to 40s as I have a window open for ventilation. If I had a pressure pot I might be able to make due but without one I always end up with air bubbles at that temp. I plan to at least get the color casting done, I can work with air bubbles in that if they aren't too big or too many - but the tube on casting I may have to pass on :frown:

randywa

I used to cast in my basement but have since given up due to my wife yelling at me for the smell :rolleyes:

Is this why my wife makes me cast in the little throne room?

Brooks803

Entry #10

3 color cast in Alumilite on a Jr Gent II in gold titanium. I used a horizontal mold with -- Alumilite, Cellini Blue, Cellini Yellow, and Paradise Black Pearl.

colorcast2_zps9d1014e2.jpg

colorcast1_zpsc97221ae.jpg

Brooks803

Entry #14

Celini Blue, Bronze & Titanium dioxide called "Desert Sky". The pour is done
is steps with resins that cure at different speeds (Alumilite). All 3 colors are mixed with a 2-3 minute time lapse so that one starts setting before
the other. Then poured and flash set using pressure and heat.

DSC00074_zps1f270ca6.jpg

DSC00050_zps1de0bb9d.jpg

Top Bottom