200 Year Old Redwood Burl Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rbragg08

rbragg08

I came across a sweet deal on a Redwood burl from Northern California and decided to keep it natural edge. Bowl is 9 inches across and 8 inches tall. Comments, criticisms and praise :) welcome.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oops99

Hey Rick,

That is absolutely stunning.
It belongs some where that many people get to appreciate it. It looks like it belongs in a museum. Fantastic workmanship, you are one talented man.

Oh yea, God did a great job too with the piece of Red Wood.

Tom/oops99

I think it is much too short, you lost the top of it, the base is too large and the stem is too thick. Besides that it is way too shiney and you should have found a burl much older, this is like taking home a salmon that is two inches below legal limit.
Can you tell I am jealous of this awesome work of art?

robutacion

I came across a sweet deal on a Redwood burl from Northern California and decided to keep it natural edge. Bowl is 9 inches across and 8 inches tall. Comments, criticisms and praise :) welcome.

Hi rbragg08,

That is outstanding work...!
I can imagine how big that burl had to be, even tough the final product isn't that large but, I know how much a natural edge bowl "eats" the timber around, on the making not mentioning the foot (base) you done on it! I've done one of similar top shape only, a few months ago out of local She/Bull-Oak, and I was extremely upset and disappointed, with what I end-up with (size wise), considering the largest block I come across of that timbers good enough for a bowl, which I kept a side to make a large bowl. It would have been, if I had made it in the normal way but at the last minute I decided to go for a natural edge, mainly due to the outer skin texture this timber has/had.

It did turn out OK in the end, just a little smaller than what I hoped for...!:redface:
I'm putting a pic of it here, not for any comparative intent of any kind but just to evidentiate my comment!:)

PS: what did you use on the finish?

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Timbers preparartion 053_(2).jpg
    Timbers preparartion 053_(2).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Timbers preparartion 057_(2).jpg
    Timbers preparartion 057_(2).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 114

rbragg08

Many thanks for all of the compliments!! Finish is one coat of Shellac followed by about 8 coats of spray Lacquer.

Top Bottom