2 firsts for me. Segmented and no kit center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I had a thin strip of silver maple left from cutting down another blank and a nice redwood blank sitting on the bench. I decided to try my first segmented pen.

I figured while I was at it, I did not like the idea of keeping this as a slimline kit so I added another piece of maple to the blank to turn as the center band. I learned a few things along the way like the need to square up the blank before gluing on the center band replacement and that I need to find a better way to drill true on the blank when dealing with vertical segments. I had a lower to match but the bit wandered and I had to pitch it and go with a solid piece.

I still have to work on fit and finish but I don't think I'll personally do another slimline center band pen again. It just looks so much better this way. I'm sharing my first attempt so I'll hopefully have something to compare it to as I get better :)

Attachments

• IMG_1145 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1145 (Small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1146 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1146 (Small).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That is a very nice pen. Your finish looks fantastic. The segmenting looks sharp!

hilltopper46

Great finish on that pen. I think I'm finally seeing the segmentation line but the reflection off the finish makes it hard to see for sure. I really like the 'non-kit' center band.

LeeR

Carl,

Very nice looking pen. I am in agreement with you, I just do not like to do slims with a centerband. One exception is the Streamline, which has a pretty large diameter "banded" center band.

One 7mm "slim" kit you might like is the KC Twist from CSUSA. It is basically a slim without a centerband, and it is one of the most reasonably priced kits in rhodium, likely because no band is included.

Carl Fisher

Wow, someone dug up one of my first pens. This one was actually destroyed some time ago during a dissassembly.

Interesting to compare that against some of our current pens to see progress.

Top Bottom