1st try Pepper Mill and Salt Cellar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

My brother recently bought a "new" house, which he has gutted and is rebuilding.... thought I'd have a go at a housewarming gift. He is a very talented carpenter, so I am usually somewhat nervous sending him goodies from my shop (other than pens....think I'm doing ok there!:wink:) This is my first pepper mill and first "box"....maybe I'll try some nice wood next time!

Amboyna burl and Ebony mill and cellar....CA finish. Hope he likes!

Attachments

• spset.jpg
    spset.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WOW, Jon!!!

Amboyna burl PEPPERMILL????

Hope he puts it in a nice cabinet and shines a light on it--be a shame to get it near FOOOD!!!

Just gorgeous!

bitshird

WOW!!!! That is way over the top!! What a nice chunk of Amboyna Burl. I hope he appreciates it enough to do it like Ed suggested, it would be criminal to get it nasty with fingerprints and grease smudges, Nice gift Jon.

GoodTurns

Those woods do go well together.

I got lucky on an EBAY auction a couple of years ago (seller misspelled AMBOYNA, so I guess folks missed it)...got 4 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 6 blocks like this one for $40...been waiting for a special occasion to use some of it...wanted to complement the amboyna and figured a clean black top would work (wish the ebony block had only been $40!). I hope it finds a special spot....table top or display case, I'm good with either!

Thanks all for the kind words.....gotta make some more!

broitblat

Beautiful work, and both pieces go nicely together.

I don't think I've even seen an Amboyna mill before (certainly not in *my* budget ;-).

Also, I, at least, have never tried a CA finish on anything that large. Did that present any particular problems?

-Barry

GoodTurns

Also, I, at least, have never tried a CA finish on anything that large. Did that present any particular problems?

I had never tried it on anything that large either and was shocked at how easy it worked...did it just as I would do a pen blank...pic doesn't do the shine justice, the thing is soooo reflective. it did use A LOT of glue! I may not have realized it was difficult and just got lucky, but it seemed pretty straight forward.

Top Bottom