1st time casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

Well, I finally tried my hand at casting and poured my first brick using casting craft resin, testors paint and some pearlex. It came out really nice and I turned a piece into a pen I'll post pics later on that one. Here's my problem I bought a resin saver a while back for the Sierra's and I decided to try it out. I prepared my tubes and placed them in the mold poured my mix and let it cure. I pulled them out the next day and there are big voids on one of the ends. I looked at the molds and found a piece of silicone under the tabs that caused the void. I was able to remove it. My question is can I turn these blanks partway down and recast them? If so does the blank need polished to clear before recasting or can it be left hazy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

Why don't you turn parts of it down to the brass tube, including the end that was botched, and then recast with a different color and re-turn?

Lee

pensmyth

Sorry you had that problem.. was it a stray piece of silicone? I trim the
flashing from the molds before I send them out.. maybe a piece was left
in there?

Yep, It was stuck on the bottom of one of the tabs. I removed it with no problem I just wasn't sure how to recast...thanks for the info I'm off to the shop!

pensmyth

Well I turned them down part way and recast them. Just removed them from the mold and all looks well. I'll let them sit over night to dry even more. Then we'll see how they turn down.

Top Bottom