1st Statesman, Rhodium/22k . Afzelia Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pete00

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Well after seeing all the great pens posted in pen in the hat. I though it was about time i made more than slims.

Didnt know what this would look like so all i did was go bushing to bushing. I'm going to try and make a bunch of different ones so i can try them out and keep them in my display bag to show customers.

If i were to sell one of these, i would add a pen stand or rest, this would also serve as a pillow for the cap while in use.

Took me a while to figure out what wood to use with Rhodium. Solid dark colors didnt look good to me, i think i like how this wood looks. comments welcome.

My camera is fighting with me again....

Statesman, Rhodium with 22k gold trim. Wood is Afzelia Burl

200631023859_DSC01295sm.jpg

I experimented with the finish. The wood was waxed and pretty dry.
As i turned i used tung oil everyonce in a while to give the wood a drink. After turning, tung oil, micro mesh sanding, a couple coats
of hut friction. Then a hand full of shavings to burnish the outside.
An finally a few more coats of friction. Didnt use ca, trying to keep the feel of the wood.

200631023917_DSC01298sm.jpg

200631023938_DSC01299sm.jpg

This is one BIG pen

2006310231024_DSC01304sm.jpg

2006310231050_DSC01305sm.jpg

2006310231134_DSC01306sm.jpg

Lets see only got 150 more styles to go......:D:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

thanks for the comments.

Bill whats your fav burl ??

Frank as far as the friction holding up, we'll see.
I was going to use just tung oil, but didnt.
Hmm mabey i should ask Lou how his TSW is on bare wood.

thanks ....pete

Dario

Pete very nice pen!

Not sure what type of Tung oil you used...but I made a few pens finished with it and they don't look super shiny but still look good after some "abuse". They tend to loose their shine but a simple buffing (with my shirt) tend to bring it back to its original beauty. Don't ask me why but there are days it is easy to shine, some days it just won't happen. [B)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Pete - TSW works well on wood provided that the surface is well-prepped. Make sure you seal the grain first - friction finish is fine. I use just TSW on olivewood, cocobolo, ebony, rosewoods, lignum vitae and a few other oily woods. The TSW will add a lot of wearability AND it can be re-applied.

Randy_

Nice looking pens; but your photography doesn't show them off to their best effect. Try shooting them a little closer or take the existing photos, crop the useless border areas and post at 625 pixels wide. The tape detracts from the pictures IMO. If you want to indicate scale try something diifferent.

Johnathan

Why that's a beautiful start to the larger pens. So what's the problem turning bushing to bushing? I think it looks great! You don't have to have big curves on every pen. Great choice of wood and kit. I love the Statesman. The finish from the picture looks good, I too hope it stands the test of time. [8D]

pete00

Thanks for comments,

Dario, ive used tung oil in past, many coats sanded in between with fine steel wool for some furniture. Didnt use that method here.

Randy, ill try both your suggestions.
Lou guess i'll need to try TSW.

Im trying to get the woodsy look and feel of a freshly cleaned and polished gun stock, or a hand rubbed finish on an old table.

thanks.....pete

OSCAR15

<b>AWESOME !</b> I love it and I also share your sentiments on the "feel" of wood. If I wanted a plastic pen, I'd turn acrylics. I use Shellawax polish for this reason. I am amazed at the number of folks that want to fill open grains, and use CA for finishing. Yeah it may last longer, but you lose the tactile feel of the wood. I have also found that when using friction polishes, a lil bit of lemon or orange oil applied
with soft cloth when needed will help bring back the shine and lustre of the wood. OSCAR

pete00

Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br /><b>AWESOME !</b> I have also found that when using friction polishes, a lil bit of lemon or orange oil applied
with soft cloth when needed will help bring back the shine and lustre of the wood. OSCAR

Thanks for the comments, I have a lot of folks that want me to make a shiny type (ca finish) as well. So i make what ever the money person
wants...

Well i never thought about opening a fruit stand as well, looks like i should make a lemon as part of the touch up kit. [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom