1st post, 2nd pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodchick

woodchick

Hi Folks,
Been turning for a few months now and thought I'd give pens a try. Seeing all of your work here has really been a help. Thought I would share my second pen, as I think it turned out very well. Euro kit, blank cut from a Banksia pod, sliced crossways for the top portion and lengthwise for the bottom. Eyes filled with black epoxy. CA/BLO finish, micromesh and buffed. Same pen, 2 pix.

200871219128_banksia%20euro%201.jpg

2008712191231_banksia%20euro%202.jpg

Critiques appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Maria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think my 2nd pen blew up [B)] and 3rd and 4th............. :D

Great job, nice epoxy fill,nice finish.

Out of curiousity why did you slice part lenghtwise ad cross cut the other?

woodchick

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Hunter-27, you'll notice I didn't mention pens 1 & 3...[B)]. RIght now I rely too much on the 100-grit gouge. I switched up the orientation because I liked the pattern you get across the core (looks almost like a flower) and apart from the fact that it only fit the short tube, I still think it was a distinct enough pattern that the lower barrel should be different. Since the pods have no obvious grain orientation apart from the oval eyes, I thought it worth a try. It might be better if the lower blank was more central so the eyes were smaller, or fewer. May have to try that next time.
Stevebuk, I think my tutorial might be a lesson in how NOT to do it ;) Every time I had it epoxied, I'd turn a bit more and lo and behold, a new hole with shiny brass winking through. Next time I'll get it 99% turned before filling any gaps. I highly recommend Banksia nuts, but you definitely need face and lung protection!

jhs494

Very nice work. That is an awesome looking blank and it turned out great.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

grumps

I'm not a big fan of the Euro pen so believe me when I say that is the best one that I've ever seen. That's the second pen you've ever done - I'm anxious to see the next ones! Great job.

Buzz

Excellent work. Banksia pods make nice pens. I hate turning them for anything else though, lots of shrapnel, dust and fine fluff-like particles that make you itch. I made a batch of bud vases once, but never again. I get someone else to do them now for our shop.:D

woodchick

I know what you mean! Last time I worked with banksia, I carved a small bowl using an arbortech mini. Talk about shrapnel! This time, the bandsaw was my friend for some serious trimming. Thanks to all for the welcome and comments. This is a great forum.

Top Bottom