1st PC - Turned (Not Rolled)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ROOKIETURNER

ROOKIETURNER

So I liked the PC pens that Toni did. Several weeks ago, before the PC craze. I picked up some PC at Hobby Lobby and my girls and I made some blanks. I did not know what method Toni used. I assumed that since this was a PENTURNING site, she was turning them.

Today I turned one of our homemade blanks. And I think that it turned out awesome. Two Dollars in PC, a Three Dollar blank and an hour at the lathe and this is what I got.

It turns really easy, but make sure that you use a ton of CA when glueing the tubes. Also make sure that the PC is thourghly worked before mixing the colors. I had two blowouts, and I think that it was due to thin CA and not a complete bond between the colors we mixed. I had to make a key chain out of half of a blank.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

That is one sharp pen Rob. Sounds like you baked a solid blank and then drilled, glued, and turned? No rolling the pc on the tube first? However you did it, it came out great.

cnirenberg

That came out great. The kids and I tried PC wrapped around a Bic stick and baked it in the oven at home. It came out ok, but not as nice as yours. Fantastic job.

David Keller

Nice job... I really like the coloring in the keychain.

I've wrapped PC around tubes before baking... then I've used a barrel trimmer and turned them on the lathe without any trouble. Sound like there are lots of ways to use PC with pens.

Rfturner

PC Pen and Keychain

They both look great the coloring on the key chain is nice and it looks like Pr.
I tried the PC but I made some mistakes I want to try again I rolled mine but did not like the appearance that it gave+it did not harden all the way as I found out on the lathe. we learn from our mistakes. next time I will dill it like a regular blank.

ROOKIETURNER

I also baked the blanks for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Seemed to cure them completely. When we mixed the colors, we would fold them together, cut in half, keep the line in the clay oriented, put together and then roll out aganin. I think I did this 7 times on this pen and key chain.

I am putting together one that my daughter made. She twisted the colors together. I turned the top of the pen last night and it came out really nice. I was afraid that the twists would blow out, but they held.

Can't wait to finish and post!

Jgrden

I also baked the blanks for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Seemed to cure them completely. When we mixed the colors, we would fold them together, cut in half, keep the line in the clay oriented, put together and then roll out aganin. I think I did this 7 times on this pen and key chain.

I am putting together one that my daughter made. She twisted the colors together. I turned the top of the pen last night and it came out really nice. I was afraid that the twists would blow out, but they held.

Can't wait to finish and post!
Let's hop to it friend. No "union" breaks here, just plain hard work.

Top Bottom