1st Fountain Order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txcwboy

Customer wants a Fine point fountain pen.Ive never ordered one. I need to know if the Statesman Jr. FP is a fine or what ?

thanks

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
My suggestion is to decline the order until you have learned somthing about the fountain pen, and learned to write with one of them. This is not a ballpoint pen with a different point and ink supply. Selling a fountain pen while knowing nothing about them serves neither you nor the customer.

For what it's worth, that's my opinion.

txcwboy

I have 40 fountain pens in my collection. I never once said I didnt know anything about them. I ask WHAT POINT comes on it.My suggestion is to READ the Question next time !!

For what it's worth !

Firefyter-emt

BwaHaaaa.... He got you there Russ. [;)]

However, I do have to stick up for ya though, for someone who has a lot of FP's I would think that by now you know by now that all the kits come with a med. point on them. I did buy a replacement fine point from AZ once and I have to admitt that there was very little diffrence in the line. I was not very happy after dropping $8.00 on a nib to see no change on the line size.

You can give it a shot, but beware, she may not like the line size even with the fine point. I personaly think the pens run way too thick of a line to start with.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Well, Cowboy, if you have all those fountain pens in your collection one might expect you to know a tiny bit about terminology. Most people who know about and deal with fountain pens do NOT use ballpoint terms like point for the NIB of the pen. Owning a number of a certain type of pen does not always convert into knowledge.

So, before you rip someone like Russ, learn to read and to use the correct terminology for the question.

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Well, Cowboy, if you have all those fountain pens in your collection one might expect you to know a tiny bit about terminology. Most people who know about and deal with fountain pens do NOT use ballpoint terms like point for the NIB of the pen. Owning a number of a certain type of pen does not always convert into knowledge.

So, before you rip someone like Russ, learn to read and to use the correct terminology for the question.

Hmmm, I have used and accumlated commercial fountain pens for 30yrs or so. Most average people will use whatever terminology they know to describe anything... My favorite discriptive is "the ink comes out of the pointy end of the writing stick".

That said, Dave(Cowboy) asked a straight forward question and someone(Russ) returned an imperious non-answer. Russ isn't "Rosie O", he can defend himself.[;)]

Dave, nice looking bunch of pens in your gallery.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
You make an excellent point that I did not consider Charles. I guess you would also feel comfortable buying a car from a guy who when asked about the engine said it was the kind that went wrooom when you push on that pedal thingie on the floor.

I cannot speak for Russ, but if someone is trying to sell me a fountain pen and they they describe the ink flow as you did, I would look elsewhere. IM(never)HO if you are selling a product you should know more about it than "most average people."

Just my opinion, yours may be different, and that is fine.

VirgilJ

My word, this is only an ink pen,not a dialysis machine. People buy and sell things every day they know nothing about. I'm semi-retired and work at Wal~Mart, the worlds largest retailer. I can guarantee no one in there knows a thing about what they're selling!!

Originally posted by VirgilJ
<br />My word, this is only an ink pen,not a dialysis machine. People buy and sell things every day they know nothing about. I'm semi-retired and work at Wal~Mart, the worlds largest retailer. I can guarantee no one in there knows a thing about what they're selling!!

So true, so very true!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Dave,
I am sorry if I misinterpreted your message as coming from a beginning pen turner. I didn't know that you were a seasoned vetran of the fountain pen. This is a beginners question, and I assumed that you were. I appologize for doing that.

And, Mike, this is same reason that many of us will not answer a direct question anymore. It is too easy to be offensive, and even easier to be offended. Such is a fact of life when we participate in these forums.

I will usually avoid a direct answer to a question, chosing to write a separate discussion and post it as a separate topic tp avoid the problem of offending the person asking the question. There have been a large number of similar questions on this same topic in recent weeks. I would normally have written a separate discussion on the topic, but didn't have time to do that this morning.

PenWorks

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />This is the reason that I will not ask questions on this site anymore.

Mike

I don't know why? There is always more than one answer to a question. No one is jmping off a bridge over it. [:D]

PenWorks

Dave, to the best of my knowledge, the Jr's usually come with a medium nib. I have had some marked "M" and some have not.
SCU sells a Extra Fine & a Fine that you can replace your medium with. Also AZ Sil sells the Berea Baron nibs in a fine that will work to. I have used both and they work well.

txcwboy

WOW...little did I know such an honest question would draw so much critique !

LEE , I would have expected more from you since we have conversed elsewhere.NOT ANYMORE. I havent BOUGHT A FRIGGIN KIT before SO HOW WOULD I KNOW ? I "COLLECT" them not MAKE/ORDER THEM !!

Russ, Ok I accept your apology.

Wdcav1952 its best to remain silent and be thought as an A** than speak up and prove it !

and to those that answered my question. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!! It was an easy one to answer if you had BOUGHT ONE !

Dave

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The question has been answered and everyone has gotten in their barbs. Let's not let this one go south, please.

Curtis O. Seebeck
IAP Moderator

bjackman

Dave,
Not sure what your collection consists of, but with 40 you should have some good comparisons.
The standard kit nibs, as has been said are a pretty standard US/German Medium. However, with that said, they do vary some. I have had some much closer to a fine and others right up there with most Broad nibs.
If your collection leans toward japanese pens you will find the medium in the kit to be closer to a typical Japanese Broad or bigger.
Since you're ordering a statesman JR, you have to be ordering it from CSU, and the nibs on this kit will interchange with any of their med/small nib size kits. They offer nibs only sized from xf to 1.5mm calligraphy that will fit that kit for about five bucks. You might be able to have them add an f or xf to your order before it ships. Be aware though those replacement nibs are a gold plated nib, so you need to make sure that is ok with your customer on the kit.
Hope this helps.

jtate

There are many people in the fountain pen afficianado community who can help you. They can shape the nib to as fine a point as your customer wants. Write me privately if you want some names.

Julia

Firefyter-emt

Dave, I do apologize... I did not mean to ruffle your feathers. I took it when you came back with a reply to Russ that you had made 40 fountian pens yourself. I see now where I missed that you had a collection of pens that you had bought. If you notice, I did try to answer the original question and my experiance with buying a "fine nib" replacement and how it compared to the nib that was in the pen kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom