1st Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dgerwin11

dgerwin11

I am pleased with the results of my 1st cigar pen.

Cocobollo with Platinum kit.

This was also my 1st use of Mylands 3 Step finishing. So far I have used ShellaWax and also gloss lacquer. Of the three I like Mylands the best.

stCigarPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Looks good from here. Nice piece of timber! Have you considered trying to do CA finish? Opinions on CA are pretty scattered far and wide. I swear by it. Very durable and you can get some extreme gloss.

Drstrangefart

I am concentrating on learning pen making first. I also like a more "traditional " finish and feel.

Fair enough. You CAN use just a few coats of thin CA and no polishing to keep the more natural feel. I'm not trying to force you into anything. I've seen what happened to my first few pens with no real protection for the wood end up gouged up and beaten up pretty badly and mostly what they've done is been stored and used minimally. That being said, I've sat on one of my newest ones with the pen pinched between my leg and the corner of a brand new brick. SHOULD have destroyed the wood, but instead all it did was put a small divot in the CA.

Last edited:
Hey! I wish my first cigar was that nice. The color looks great and the fit seems good. I would echo was was said about the CA finish. It may seem petty to learn to do it right but the results are so much more durable. In the long run it will help out your pen making. Keep up the good work!
DJ

sumterdad

+1 on what is being said about ca. When I started it was nerve racking to try and get it right and you will have to stripe some down and redo it again. But once you get it down it will be better in the long run than a natural finish (jmop)

SDB777

I like it, and considering that the Coco is a naturally oily wood....trying CA on it will give you some fits(cloudy finish under the CA, unless your really lucky).

Fit seems to be spot on for the kit your using!

Scott (CA finishing will come eventually) B

Top Bottom