1st attempt at making a stamp pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ELA

My first attempt. I made most of the rookie mistakes.

I didn't see it until after the casting, but I needed at least one more coat of black on the tube.(see back side of tube)
I wasn't able to do any thing about the little overlap on the back.
The tube is for a Mesa Click Pen kit.
My mold let a little of the PR leak out before setting and I was afraid I would not be able to turn out the flat, fortunately I was just able to. (I have made a new mold)
I had to go through the sanding from 1000 to 12000 twice before I was satisfied. Finally, I used an automotive polishing compound followed by a coat of wax.

I made my mold using "Amazing Mold Putty" and a length of 3/4" Delrin rod.
I used the rod to turn two plugs to cap the ends of the tube.

I used "Casting Craft Clear Polyester Casting Resin" for the casting.

I bought the stamp at the Post Office (DUH!).

I plan to keep the blank to remind me what to look for next time.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 1st attempt front.JPG
    1st attempt front.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 507
  • 1st attempt back.JPG
    1st attempt back.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Larry

Learning as you go is part of the fun. There is no better teacher than the hands on approach to anything we do in life. You can talk about something all you want but until you attempt it you can actually put words into motion.

Looks like a success from here and I am sure the next one will even be better. Just a note if you go to ebay you can find all kinds of interesting stamps for sale. Get some good deals to. This is a part of the pen blank making art. Good luck.

ELA

Larry

Learning as you go is part of the fun. There is no better teacher than the hands on approach to anything we do in life. You can talk about something all you want but until you attempt it you can actually put words into motion.

Looks like a success from here and I am sure the next one will even be better. Just a note if you go to ebay you can find all kinds of interesting stamps for sale. Get some good deals to. This is a part of the pen blank making art. Good luck.

I fully agree. I was at the PO and saw this stamp on a poster and thought, ah! a pen blank.
I think I should have sealed the stamp too. The whites aren't quite as white as they were before casting. I am retired and like to try new things rather than go senile watching the boob tube!:biggrin:

Jim Smith

I think it looks good. Janice played a concert at the college I was attending not long before her death. She put on a tremendous performance!!! Next time, you might want to wrap your blank in a Zig-Zag paper then add the stamp, just to make it a bit more realistic of the times back then;)

Jim Smith

magpens

Way to go !!!! Great work !!!! What glue did you use to stick the stamp to the tube ? What kind of black paint did you use ? Do you think nail polish would work ? You have inspired me to want to try this.

ELA

Zig-Zag paper? My whatever do you mean?:eek: Hummm maybe wheat straw.

I used a flat black spray enamel from WalMart. The stamp is a current self adhesive one.
I think most nail polish is enamel. Should work if you don't end up with brush strokes.

Remember guys, this is my first try. I am not more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase, so I am not yet an expert. :wink:

I did read a lot of posts on this forum and looked at several YouTube videos before I got up enough nerve to try this. (Got to find some old watches next:biggrin:)

79spitfire

Looks good to me. I've used the Krylon High heat flat black. It's sold for painting BBQs. It has a very opaque coating with thin coats and dries very quickly. I've tried some of the cheaper spray paints and they seem to skimp on quality and quantity of pigment. As far as a white background for the stamp, you could stick one to a white label, then trim the edges very carefully. I do think the way it is is very nice!

wob50

First try very nice, now if can do 1/2 has good I would be happy,remember that song,,,,,,,, don't worry be happy,,,,,,,!

Robert

Bob Kardell

I think that stamp idea is great and it looks great!

I am new to this, but could you turn wood or a black blank down, apply the stamp, and cover with CA?

csr67

I think that stamp idea is great and it looks great!

I am new to this, but could you turn wood or a black blank down, apply the stamp, and cover with CA?

Absolutely. I do just that. I turn down a simple maple blank, just a hair too much. Then I glue my stamps to the blank, apply a good coat of modge podge sealer, let it dry, then multiple coats of CA, MM sanding, and buffing. Works very well for me.

Here's an antique stamp Sierra that was my first try:

41f69fb069c92302ac23566a83636b27.jpg

Top Bottom